Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.10.5 Released - It Disables FBCON Accelerated Scrolling

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux 5.10.5 Released - It Disables FBCON Accelerated Scrolling

    Phoronix: Linux 5.10.5 Released - It Disables FBCON Accelerated Scrolling

    Linux 5.10.5 LTS is out today with at least one rather interesting addition...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...es-FBCON-Accel

  • #2
    In short why is accelerated scrolling so buggy?
    - Because the graphics drivers are buggy?
    - Because the authors of the code did a lazy job?
    - Because it's impossible to do this?
    - Because nobody needs it?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      In short why is accelerated scrolling so buggy?
      - Because the graphics drivers are buggy?
      - Because the authors of the code did a lazy job?
      - Because it's impossible to do this?
      - Because nobody needs it?
      Add one:
      - Because the author(possibly singular) did a decent job considering lack of Nvidia documentation and zero Nvidia support. It may be in the grand scheme poor code, but I don't think I would immediately blame the programmer for that considering the full picture.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

        Add one:
        - Because the author(possibly singular) did a decent job considering lack of Nvidia documentation and zero Nvidia support. It may be in the grand scheme poor code, but I don't think I would immediately blame the programmer for that considering the full picture.
        I don't think so. If I write code and interface with a black box, I'm still responsible for the errors in my code. But you are free to believe that all code that touches a nvidia driver, even the free one, has bugs that nvidia is to blame for

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm really missing scrolling support (Shift + PgUp/PgDn) in vconsoles which was removed a few months ago.
          I find it unacceptable that such basic functionality that had been there forever has been removed. You cannot always use a pager (less, more, ....) to scroll back into previous screens in a vconsole. I'm surprised people have not been more vocal about this
          long standing feature being removed.
          Last edited by bobbie424242; 07 January 2021, 08:47 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bobbie424242 View Post
            I'm really missing scrolling support (Shift + PgUp/PgDn) in vconsoles which was removed a few months ago.
            I find it unacceptable that such basic functionality that had been there forever has been removed. You cannot always use a pager (less, more, ....) to scroll back into previous screens in a vconsole. I'm surprised people have not been more vocal about this
            long standing feature being removed.
            We have been. We get told to STFU and DIY if we want it.

            Comment


            • #7
              I found these patches here which are supposedly for 5.10.5 to restore scrolling:
              0401-revert-fbcon-remove-now-unusued-softback_lines-cursor-argument.patch
              0402-revert-fbcon-remove-no-op-fbcon_set_origin.patch
              0403-revert-fbcon-remove-soft-scrollback-code.patch

              Since I'm no coder, claim to be one, nor aspire to become one, I've no idea if the patches work or how to get them to work. I don't use Manjaro, and when I attempt to apply the patches to the kernel, I get an error saying the fbcon.c file is missing. Which makes sense since it doesn't exist in v5.10.5 any longer. But I don't think it'll work just because I copy it from v5.10.4, as all the references to the driver from the rest of the kernel is gone too?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Beherit View Post
                I found these patches here which are supposedly for 5.10.5 to restore scrolling:
                0401-revert-fbcon-remove-now-unusued-softback_lines-cursor-argument.patch
                0402-revert-fbcon-remove-no-op-fbcon_set_origin.patch
                0403-revert-fbcon-remove-soft-scrollback-code.patch

                Since I'm no coder, claim to be one, nor aspire to become one, I've no idea if the patches work or how to get them to work. I don't use Manjaro, and when I attempt to apply the patches to the kernel, I get an error saying the fbcon.c file is missing. Which makes sense since it doesn't exist in v5.10.5 any longer. But I don't think it'll work just because I copy it from v5.10.4, as all the references to the driver from the rest of the kernel is gone too?
                That file still exists. Are you sure you're doing it right?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  Are you sure you're doing it right?
                  No.

                  Update: Holy dogshit! It works!
                  Dunno what was wrong, perhaps I made a mistake and copied the patches to the wrong directory.
                  Last edited by Beherit; 07 January 2021, 04:25 PM.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X