Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11 Features That Didn't Make It In 2020 For Linux 5.11

Phoronix: 11 Features That Didn't Make It In 2020 For Linux 5.11

For as great as Linux 5.11 is with its new features, there is also some prominent material that has yet to be upstreamed into the mainline kernel -- some of which is likely to hit in 2021 while other changes have less likely ambitions for mainline...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Microsoft could do more to help complete that NTFS functionality. They might happen to know a thing or two about it.

Just goes to show you how much Microsoft really hearts Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
      Microsoft could do more to help complete that NTFS functionality. They might happen to know a thing or two about it.

Even if more could be done, Microsoft has already done a few things for Linux that are even more important than NTFS support, so now we have exFAT support in the Linux kernel and Microsoft has also released the DirectX header files under an open source license, making it much easier from now on to port graphical programs between Windows and Linux.

It is true that these Microsoft actions have been necessary now only because of the anti-competitive behavior of Microsoft from many years ago, but it still is better that they have reversed their attitude late than never.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianBc View Post

Even if more could be done, Microsoft has already done a few things for Linux that are even more important than NTFS support, so now we have exFAT support in the Linux kernel and Microsoft has also released the DirectX header files under an open source license, making it much easier from now on to port graphical programs between Windows and Linux.

It is true that these Microsoft actions have been necessary now only because of the anti-competitive behavior of Microsoft from many years ago, but it still is better that they have reversed their attitude late than never.
        And how ironic is it that Microsoft is one of the friendlier open source companies?

Still, with Windows 10 I feel like they're handing out crack at the playground to do whatever they can to keep Windows users.

Comment

DXGKRNL Microsoft treading very carefully to get support for WSL2 but also to ensure they don't accidentally allow directx to run natively inside Linux... lmao

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

MS has done the only thing they needed to do and that was give their blessing for it to be included in the kernel. There is already a working implementation that is being merged. The company that provided the code and the kernel devs just need time to merge it. There are plenty of opportunities to bash MS but this isn't one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              And how ironic is it that Microsoft is one of the friendlier open source companies?
              Not ironic at all. They were just heading south with their previous stance, so they had to change it.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Still, with Windows 10 I feel like they're handing out crack at the playground to do whatever they can to keep Windows users.
              I don't think these days they value the OS as much as you think. Their money comes from the cloud and enterprise. Office and Outlook can already be sold as a service. Once they figure out how to do that with AD, they won't care which OS you use anymore.

Comment

This article is everything that bugs me about Michael's writing style:
                1) Here's all the things the developers FAILED to accomplish,
                2) Here are links to all my previous articles where I point out what the developers failed to accomplish.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post
                  2) Here are links to all my previous articles where I point out what the developers failed to accomplish.
                  I don't see it like that. It is more: "Here are all the things that are so near the finish line you can hope to see them in 2021".
                  Think positive

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post
                    In the past few weeks he also published some very detailed articles about what the devs actually succeeded to accomplish. He also does this every kernel release listing the cool new stuff that we get to enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                    X