Systemd Had A Pretty Big 2020 With Homed, OOMD Components Merged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
    It makes little difference when those "modules" are useless without systemd.
    This might be right, but that's not whole story, because
    1. You don't have to use everything what systemd offers.
    2. You can still replace some daemons. I. e. you can use rsyslog instead of journald.

Comment

Ignoring the bits where you talk to yourself, yes, homed is a pretty stupid idea.

It makes little difference when those "modules" are useless without systemd.
      well that's a 10/10 explanation for your viewpoint, I completely understand now... (not... you have not given any real reason, you're just calling shit stupid without backing it up, I for one think the idea of standardizing the linux home directory between distros is a fantastic idea)

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

While most effects are geared toward stereo, PulseEffects is a great tool that should be on every Linux desktop. Compression, Auto-Gain, Maximizer, and Loudness Compensator all combined (and tweaked a bit) really help level out Hollywood Dynamic Range. I don't know about you, but I just love turning the volume up and down 12 times every scene. But it has an equalizer and it helps a lot. Anyhoo, PulseEffects. And it should be plug and play with Pipewire.

You didn't happen to follow a Pulseaudio guide like this that suggests putting echo cancellation on it's own sink? I only ask because I can see me forgetting that and thinking it's messed up when I'm trying to use it on the default sink.
      That is exactly what I did (what's in the guide) and it worked perfectly fine, until one day I just booted into linux and it didn't, with pulseaudio not spitting out any error messages explaining why (e.g. I have no freaking clue how I could troubleshoot it). I tried to use pulseeffects once also, but it seemed to just add to pulseaudio's problems (specifically latency and crackling noises in audio) until I gave up on it. Pulseaudio ladspa equalizer honestly did so too, normally, but I found out that if I equalize by reducing the volume of specific frequencies (rather than increasing the opposite ones) it doesn't add crackling, and as for latency, while I'm sure it adds some, it's a non issue for me since I'm just a consumer; the latency issues I'm talking about are when the audio is actually lagging far enough behind the video playback that I can hear it, that's when we have a real problem...

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        well that's a 10/10 explanation for your viewpoint, I completely understand now...
        Good!

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
        This might be right, but that's not whole story, because
        1. You don't have to use everything what systemd offers.
        2. You can still replace some daemons. I. e. you can use rsyslog instead of journald.
        What I would like however is the opposite: run some of the systemd goods without systemd. Having to fork out eudev and elogind to get some basic functionality required by every desktop setup is the perfect example of the tragedy that systemd represents.

Comment

What I would like however is the opposite: run some of the systemd goods without systemd. Having to fork out eudev and elogind to get some basic functionality required by every desktop setup is the perfect example of the tragedy that systemd represents.
          Why do you want systemd daemons without systemd?

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Why do you want systemd daemons without systemd?
            Because of course not everything that systemd does is garbage.

Comment

Good!

IIRC, systemd-udevd runs just as well (as eudev) without systemd. I even had this config running in a VM for some time. Same should go at least for some of the smaller tools (e.g. systemd-detect-virt, systemd-uuidgen).

Comment

The monolith just grew bigger

Comment

Working...
                X