Systemd Had A Pretty Big 2020 With Homed, OOMD Components Merged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Is it really a stupid idea though? the usual argument for why systemd is bad is because it uses a monolithic design, but that's not a very good argument, since the linux kernel is also monolithic, therefore, if that's your reason, do you think the linux kernel is stupid too? and if so, why are you using it?

I can't use it yet because I must have echo cancellation, although the echo cancellation on my pulse (as I mentioned before) just randomly stopped functioning for no explained reason (not even a fucking error message or anything... and no it's not a misconfiguration, i never changed the config file from the time it worked, and, I triple checked just in case...) I guess I might as well just switch.

i just need 2 things besides basic functionality

echo cancellation (which should be called basic functionality tbh; this is on their to-do list though so, hype! seems to be a bit big of a task though, so yike!)
    equalizer (also should be called basic functionality tbh, everybody and their dog needs an equalizer to fix their shitty audio anyways, should just be included)

although i am under the impression that the pulseaudio ladspa equalizer should work with pipewire (since pipewire-pulse is an optional dependency for that on arch, but I haven't tested it so it's possibly (probably) a misconception), but echo cancellation is pretty damn important too.
    While most effects are geared toward stereo, PulseEffects is a great tool that should be on every Linux desktop. Compression, Auto-Gain, Maximizer, and Loudness Compensator all combined (and tweaked a bit) really help level out Hollywood Dynamic Range. I don't know about you, but I just love turning the volume up and down 12 times every scene. But it has an equalizer and it helps a lot. Anyhoo, PulseEffects. And it should be plug and play with Pipewire.

You didn't happen to follow a Pulseaudio guide like this that suggests putting echo cancellation on it's own sink? I only ask because I can see me forgetting that and thinking it's messed up when I'm trying to use it on the default sink.

Comment

Is it really a stupid idea though? the usual argument for why systemd is bad is because it uses a monolithic design, but that's not a very good argument, since the linux kernel is also monolithic, therefore, if that's your reason, do you think the linux kernel is stupid too? and if so, why are you using it?
      Monolithic is why I use ZFS. I like how tightly integrated everything is with ZFS. I like systemd for the exact same reasons. While I miss init.d for quick hacks and tweaks (and who among us doesn't?), I prefer modern Linux with systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        I prefer modern Linux with systemd.
        same here, stuff just works.

and if the defaults don't work, it's a config edit away.

The only issue I have is the documentation. it's... functional. but I feel it is getting better (anecdotal)

Comment

I don't really hate systemd that much, sure it's a lot of stuff packaged into one thing, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as it massively simplifies distro development.
          systemd is not "one thing". It's modular. And yes, it does not only simplies distro development, but also the usage of different distros.

What I do hate, is pulseaudio, that shit needs to be replaced with something that's not a bloated buggy piece of crap mess. Systemd is fine.
          I don't know what pulseaudio has to do with systemd.

Comment

I wonder how much memory the oom daemon allocates when dealing with oom.

Comment

Is it really a stupid idea though?
              Ignoring the bits where you talk to yourself, yes, homed is a pretty stupid idea.

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
              systemd is not "one thing". It's modular
              It makes little difference when those "modules" are useless without systemd.
              Last edited by Shiba; 29 December 2020, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Monolithic is why I use ZFS. I like how tightly integrated everything is with ZFS. I like systemd for the exact same reasons. While I miss init.d for quick hacks and tweaks (and who among us doesn't?), I prefer modern Linux with systemd.
                "systemctl edit --full" should cover you for the hacks and tweaks.

Comment

I dont understand why people like this bsdsation process is good for Linux. SystemD is just a one kind monolith monster which will be kill spirit of Linux eventually.
                  Last edited by matsukan; 29 December 2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Now they just need to release the systemd-kerneld, with ibmhat own kernel

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                      systemd is not "one thing". It's modular. And yes, it does not only simplies distro development, but also the usage of different distros.
                      Those who freak out by systemd would be totally fine if the individual systemd components were GNU Core Utilities components which is also a bunch of individual tools released in one package.

Comment

Working...
                      X