2020 Was Another Interesting Year For Microsoft Around Open-Source/Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
    Work on Mesa by MS is still not the way it should be: Proper Backends/State Tracker for all their DirectX Versions, not just for their WSL2 needs.
    Although it is nice to see Exfat and NTFS coming to Linux these days (although the later one isn't MS own contribution).
    Still a long way to go.
    Embrace, extend, extinguish - now with Mesa. The exFAT driver was developed by Samsung and the NTFS driver by Paragon, no Microsoft directly involved there.

Comment

It appears that the easiest way to run Wayland on Nvidia will be on Windows 10.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
        Pretty much all of what Microsoft is doing benefits Microsoft first and most is aimed at their server side.

Let's see Microsoft port the big/full Visual Studio suite to Linux, one of the more demanded features by devs right now, and then we can have a real discussion about how much Microsoft hearts Linux. For now Microsoft hearts Microsoft and everything is suspect in one way or another.
        They did port Edge to Linux. Although it wasn't that much of an effort given the Chromium base, but Edge *is* one of their most prominent apps currently given that it's *the* default Windows browser.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
          Clearest message, "Microsoft Has Now Open-Source Their BASIC Code From 1983". People need to understand who Microsoft truly is. Brad can "say" anything. Doesn't have to be true in any way. Here's a fun read
          It may be old code and stuff, but hey, at least it's *something*. I don't see many other companies doing that. SEGA, Nintendo, etc. have very old stuff that they can't make money off of anymore just like MS, but I don't see them open-sourcing anything.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying MS can't do more, I'm just saying that they have open-sourced a couple of things in the last few years, which is more than some other companies have done in their lifetime. Credit where credit is due.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
            so neither are using code contributions from Microsoft.
            This.
            Last edited by ezst036; 29 December 2020, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
              Let's see Microsoft port the big/full Visual Studio suite to Linux, one of the more demanded features by devs right now, and then we can have a real discussion about how much Microsoft hearts Linux.
              VS Code is in Linux for a long time and it's preferred by many programmers over the big/full VS. I understand big VS has many Windows-specific stuff so it may not be possible to port it at all.

Comment

Working...
              X