Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Was Another Interesting Year For Microsoft Around Open-Source/Linux

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2020 Was Another Interesting Year For Microsoft Around Open-Source/Linux

    Phoronix: 2020 Was Another Interesting Year For Microsoft Around Open-Source/Linux

    Each of the past several years it has been interesting to monitor Microsoft's engagement in the open-source and Linux communities. Over 2020 there were interesting strides from Samsung upstreaming their improved exFAT file-system driver after having Microsoft's blessing to Microsoft contributing more and more to Mesa in leveraging the OpenGL/OpenCL code in various Windows components to new WSL2 capabilities...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...020-Highlights

  • #2
    ah, good, still on the "Extend" part.

    Comment


    • #3
      Pretty much all of what Microsoft is doing benefits Microsoft first and most is aimed at their server side.

      Let's see Microsoft port the big/full Visual Studio suite to Linux, one of the more demanded features by devs right now, and then we can have a real discussion about how much Microsoft hearts Linux. For now Microsoft hearts Microsoft and everything is suspect in one way or another.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
        Pretty much all of what Microsoft is doing benefits Microsoft first and most is aimed at their server side.

        Let's see Microsoft port the big/full Visual Studio suite to Linux, one of the more demanded features by devs right now, and then we can have a real discussion about how much Microsoft hearts Linux. For now Microsoft hearts Microsoft and everything is suspect in one way or another.
        well i'd say that, more specifically, microsoft hearts windows as opposed to linux in the way you describe it; no issues with ms loving ms. otherwise pretty much spot on. i see no evidence against EEE, and i see gobs for it. we'll survive though, being the cancer we are
        Last edited by doomie; 28 December 2020, 05:33 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          That's the best thing we can say about 2020? what a shitty year...

          Comment


          • #6
            Work on Mesa by MS is still not the way it should be: Proper Backends/State Tracker for all their DirectX Versions, not just for their WSL2 needs.
            Although it is nice to see Exfat and NTFS coming to Linux these days (although the later one isn't MS own contribution).
            Still a long way to go.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bemerk View Post
              Although it is nice to see Exfat and NTFS coming to Linux these days (although the later one isn't MS own contribution).
              The exfat driver is from Samsung, so neither are using code contributions from Microsoft.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                Pretty much all of what Microsoft is doing benefits Microsoft first and most is aimed at their server side.

                Let's see Microsoft port the big/full Visual Studio suite to Linux, one of the more demanded features by devs right now, and then we can have a real discussion about how much Microsoft hearts Linux. For now Microsoft hearts Microsoft and everything is suspect in one way or another.
                Just to be clear:

                Microsoft ❤️ Microsoft
                AMD ❤️ AMD
                Google ❤️ Google
                Red Hat ❤️ Red Hat
                and so on...

                Still their contribution is most valuable

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bemerk View Post
                  Work on Mesa by MS is still not the way it should be: Proper Backends/State Tracker for all their DirectX Versions, not just for their WSL2 needs.
                  Although it is nice to see Exfat and NTFS coming to Linux these days (although the later one isn't MS own contribution).
                  Still a long way to go.
                  Microsoft has zero obligation to make DirectX available on desktop Linux.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Clearest message, "Microsoft Has Now Open-Source Their BASIC Code From 1983". People need to understand who Microsoft truly is. Brad can "say" anything. Doesn't have to be true in any way. Here's a fun read

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X