Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.11-rc1 Released - Many New Features While Dominated By AMD Header Additions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.11-rc1 Released - Many New Features While Dominated By AMD Header Additions

Phoronix: Linux 5.11-rc1 Released - Many New Features While Dominated By AMD Header Additions

Linus Torvalds as expected released Linux 5.11-rc1 this evening, which marks the end of the two week merge window that went through Christmas...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As I am looking towards building a new HTPC when Van Gough is released this is good news. A YT talking head mentioned that some one poking around in the AMD commits had found an entry for a new threadripped part based on the new generation. I'm guessing that will be the next major dump. I'm sure Michael would not let some thing like that slide.

Out of curiosity is it a case that once these register entries are compiled in they are actually small in the kernel or is half of the compiled kernel register settings for various devices?

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
      Out of curiosity is it a case that once these register entries are compiled in they are actually small in the kernel or is half of the compiled kernel register settings for various devices?
      The register header files don't take up any space once compiled, except to the extent that entries are actually used.

Put differently, if we trimmed the header files down so they only contained the registers and fields that were used by the current driver code there would be zero difference in the size of the compiled driver.
      Test signature

Comment

Interesting... when I try to edit my own posts I now get the following:

Code:
        Error

Error information: " 403 error Forbidden"
        Test signature

Comment

So all these regressions with AMD processors have been fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
            So all these regressions with AMD processors have been fixed?
            From the article...

"Linux 5.11 stable should be out in February. I've already been working on many Linux 5.11 kernel benchmarks and things are looking good besides the AMD performance regression with the Schedutil governor for Zen 2 and newer where frequency invariance data is now used... More tests and insight there in the next day or two as been hammering several systems with benchmarks and different configurations to try to improve the functionality."

So the article seems to imply that at best, unknown, and at worse, no. Who knows, maybe Michael during his benchmarking and configuration changes will either find a work around or possible find the cause.
            GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Linux 5.11rc1 failed to build on the kernel ppa:

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Interesting... when I try to edit my own posts I now get the following:

Code:
                Error

Error information: " 403 error Forbidden"
                That was happening to me on Christmas Day in that Fedora Zine thread so I used GIMP to edit my recipoem into a text filled picture and that worked. It happened anytime I'd click edit or preview on that thread.

Comment

There still isn't a working VirtualBox build compatible with 5.10, and now we're at 5.11-rc1. I keep a recently compiled 5.4 LTS kernel around for this reason, since 5.9 is now EOL. First world problems I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                    There still isn't a working VirtualBox build compatible with 5.10, and now we're at 5.11-rc1. I keep a recently compiled 5.4 LTS kernel around for this reason, since 5.9 is now EOL. First world problems I guess?
                    I don't use VirtualBox, but I did a quick test with Arch in a container. virtualbox-host-dkms-6.1.16-4 builds just fine with both stock kernel and linux-5.10.3.arch1-1.

Comment

Working...
                    X