Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.11 Is Heavy On New Features, Improvements For 2021

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux 5.11 Is Heavy On New Features, Improvements For 2021

    Phoronix: Linux 5.11 Is Heavy On New Features, Improvements For 2021

    The Linux 5.11 merge window has been open the past two weeks following the debut of Linux 5.10 but is set to close today. A lot of new features and exciting improvements were merged for Linux 5.11 although it is somewhat of a bumpy ride at the moment but should be buttoned up and ready for its stable release come February.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=29804

  • #2
    I want you so bad it's driving me mad, it's driving me mad

    Comment


    • #3
      Still no PREEMPT_RT. Sad.

      Comment


      • #4
        It really is a shame too bad that 5.11 is not going to be the LTS kernel. Those improvements look remarkable.
        GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ayumu View Post
          Still no PREEMPT_RT. Sad.
          Any hopes about RT patchset integration?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ayumu View Post
            Still no PREEMPT_RT. Sad.
            They've been saying RT is going to be fully upstreamed "soon" for years, don't take it seriously unless you want to be disappointed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Space Heater View Post

              They've been saying RT is going to be fully upstreamed "soon" for years, don't take it seriously unless you want to be disappointed.
              Honestly those needing Real-time support should just fork. I’ve just never seen the two needs merging well.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by f0rmat View Post
                It really is a shame too bad that 5.11 is not going to be the LTS kernel. Those improvements look remarkable.
                There's just one LTS kernel, its name is RHEL. All others are for having fun and bugs.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by birdie View Post

                  There's just one LTS kernel, its name is RHEL. All others are for having fun and bugs.
                  Linux makes it easy to have a choice. RHEL is not the choice for everyone. If it works for you, great.
                  GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Can anyone confirm these two features are in, I don't see them in the list:
                    - fanless support for AMD RX580
                    - the new NTFS driver

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X