Linux 5.10 Didn't Even Last 24 Hours... Linux 5.10.1 Released Due To Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.10 Didn't Even Last 24 Hours... Linux 5.10.1 Released Due To Bugs

Phoronix: Linux 5.10 Didn't Even Last 24 Hours... Linux 5.10.1 Released Due To Bugs

It was just yesterday evening -- less than 24 hours ago -- that Linux 5.10 LTS was released but already the first point release has arrived due to bugs in the storage code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Code:
    $ wget -q -O - https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v5.x/ChangeLog-5.10.1 | grep -A2 'Date:' | grep -v 'Date:\|^$\|^--' | sort | less
    Linux 5.10.1
    Revert "dm raid: fix discard limits for raid1 and raid10"
    Revert "md: change mddev 'chunk_sectors' from int to unsigned"
    Handy one-liner in case anyone needs.

Comment

Yeah, well, I know why I wait for at least .1, at least I already rediff'ed the zstd compress firmware loader patch ;-) https://youtu.be/Np9bKaBzU-E
      Last edited by rene; 14 December 2020, 06:02 PM.

Comment

As I recall, the unsigned chunk_sectors commit was added Saturday, and some of the dm raid reverts happened Sunday. Perhaps, in retrospect, there should have been another week of soak testing. Lessons learned, I guess.

Comment

Well Linus doesn't shout at people any more though and that's what matters right ? Certainly not code quality.

Comment

Ouch. Did it chew the data too?

Comment

Just in case you rely on manual fan control with amdgpu: It might fry your GPU with 5.10, it does so with my Navi card.

Comment

This was the first time I compiled and installed a new Kernel on day 1. I guess this is an indication that I should better stick to what I was doing and keep waiting for a couple of point releases before diving in.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  Just in case you rely on manual fan control with amdgpu: It might fry your GPU with 5.10, it does so with my Navi card.
                  What do you mean? That it needlessly stops the GPU Fan from spinning or something else? And does it do so by default?

Comment

Originally posted by jojo7887 View Post
                    This was the first time I compiled and installed a new Kernel on day 1. I guess this is an indication that I should better stick to what I was doing and keep waiting for a couple of point releases before diving in.
                    IMO it's not year ~2000 anymore and you don't have to do it by yourself unless you have a good reason.

Comment

Working...
                    X