Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.9.12 Is In Good Shape With The AMD Radeon RX 6800 Series

Phoronix: Linux 5.9.12 Is In Good Shape With The AMD Radeon RX 6800 Series

With my testing of the Radeon RX 6800 series graphics cards last month it's been off Linux 5.10 (aside from when using the Radeon Software for Linux package driver) due to the Linux Git state often offering the best performance and features particularly for brand new hardware. As mentioned in the launch day article for the RX 6800 / RX 6800 XT, there was also an issue being encountered on Linux 5.9. Fortunately, that bug is indeed fixed with the recently released Linux 5.9.12 kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Radeon-RX-6800

Linux still in awfull shape with RX 5700 series more than 1.5 years.

Comment

Just tried xanmod 5.9.12 and it still blackscreens me with my 6800xt card. Back to 5.10rc6.

Comment

With Arch Linux, I do not need linux-firmware-git anymore since version 20201120.bc9cd0b-1 for my 6800XT.

Comment

Going to try so hard to buy an RX 6900 XT, seems like stock is limited like crazy

Comment

I have a 6800 on on Arch Linux with 5.10rc6, latest linux-firmware and mesa 20.2.
            When running Steam (installed via flatpak) I get the following error:
            "radeonsi: GFX 10.3 requires LLVM 11 or higher"

Not sure if it is because I'm using flatpak, or something else.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
              I have a 6800 on on Arch Linux with 5.10rc6, latest linux-firmware and mesa 20.2.
              When running Steam (installed via flatpak) I get the following error:
              "radeonsi: GFX 10.3 requires LLVM 11 or higher"

Not sure if it is because I'm using flatpak, or something else.
              It seems that you run the amdgpu driver from AMD. You should tried the radeon driver, it works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by santoniuk View Post
                Linux still in awfull shape with RX 5700 series more than 1.5 years.
                Can you please elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by Crashone View Post
                  It seems that you run the amdgpu driver from AMD. You should tried the radeon driver, it works fine.
                  AFAIK we build Mesa with LLVM 11 in the packaged drivers as well - it is required for GFX 10.3.

Sounds like either the flatpak is bringing in an older Mesa build or Arch is building 20.2 with an older LLVM. The former seems more likely.

BTW the radeon driver does not support anything newer than CI (GFX7) - amdgpu (whether upstream or packaged) is the only driver with support for VI (gfx8) and newer.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 07 December 2020, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

AFAIK we build Mesa with LLVM 11 in the packaged drivers as well - it is required for GFX 10.3.

Sounds like either the flatpak is bringing in an older Mesa build or Arch is building 20.2 with an older LLVM. The former seems more likely.
                    You are right. I didn't know that the Steam's Flatpak package included its own version of Mesa.

Comment

Working...
                    X