The New NTFS Linux Driver Updated With Better Compression Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New NTFS Linux Driver Updated With Better Compression Handling

Phoronix: The New NTFS Linux Driver Updated With Better Compression Handling

One of the surprises this year in the Linux kernel world was Paragon Software wanting to upstream their "NTFS3" kernel driver that supports read-write operations on Microsoft NTFS file-systems and is much more full-featured than the existing read-focused NTFS kernel driver or the user-space NTFS FUSE driver. The driver hasn't yet been mainlined but continues to be updated in preparing for that milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just wonder why kernel developers haven't included the driver into staging a long time ago. This way it could have already received a lot of testing from end users many of which won't/can't compile it.

Comment

When will it get merged?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        I just wonder why kernel developers haven't included the driver into staging a long time ago. This way it could have already received a lot of testing from end users many of which won't/can't compile it.
        Because things go through review. Not just get thrown into staging.

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        When will it get merged?
        When kernel developers feel that it's ready?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: The New NTFS Linux Driver Updated With Better Compression Handling

It's too bad though it has taken so long and seemingly until their code ended its commercial life before they went about upstreaming plans, but better late than never given how widely used NTFS remains

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...14-Compression
          I thought Paragon said they would still be maintaining a closed license version of the code for the enterprise users?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            I just wonder why kernel developers haven't included the driver into staging a long time ago.
            The initial reviews were that it was not considered even staging quality at the time of the initial code drop, although, of course, anyone is free to build their own kernel. Paragon developers have been working towards following kernel standards, breaking apart some large monolithic functions, etc. When it is "good enough" it may see staging.
            Last edited by CommunityMember; 06 December 2020, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
              I thought Paragon said they would still be maintaining a closed license version of the code for the enterprise users?
              I would expect that Paragon will need to maintain a (dual/triple/quad?) licensed version of the code base, which is used for multiple platforms, for customers for which Linux or GPL is not a viable option.

It seems likely that the work to clean up the code base to gain inclusion to the Linux kernel will help all those other platforms too.

Comment

Windows 10 supports "Compact OS" that allows for compressing the entire system partition using XPRESS or LZ4.
                There should be LZX instead of LZ4, but AFAIK Compact OS does only XPRESS4k.

Comment

What is NTFS? 🙄 💩 I haven't had an NTFS partition for at least 10 years!

Comment

Hoping to see this land in 5.11

Comment

Working...
                    X