Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi OS Switches To PulseAudio, Updated Chromium

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi OS Switches To PulseAudio, Updated Chromium

Just in time for any holiday Raspberry Pi purchases, an updated Raspberry Pi OS is available today for the Debian-based Linux distribution optimized for these budget ARM SBCs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm sure they noticed most people ended up using the Pi as if it were a whole computer... (it technically is, but wasn't it meant for education/prototyping?)

Comment

Is it really a switch to PulseAudio when it's more like the addition of PulseAudio on top of ALSA?

Comment

I would be happier if they switched their desktop environment to KDE Plasma!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          I would be happier if they switched their desktop environment to KDE Plasma!
          There is also Manjaro ARM with KDE Plasma and probably also newer packages.

Comment

I have a 3B running on Arch, headless, to do some automation and DNS filtering, it's sort of a waste and I thought of replacing it for something else of late like a ZeroPi, but I don't really have another need for it and the alternatives go for around $20 with postage.

What surprises me is that the graphics department still seem to be tied to certain blobs or APIs or something. From the blog post:

We’ve updated the Chromium browser to version 84. This has taken us a bit longer than we would have liked, but it’s always quite a lot of work to get our video hardware acceleration integrated with new releases of the browser.
            I understand the Pi 3B being old (running it with a 64-bit OS may not make much sense for example), but the 4B with 8GB of RAM? Is it not possible to run any other OS to get full hardware acceleration on the thing? It could make for a decent low-cost alternative for light computing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mthw View Post

Hmm... you're right.
              Hopefully there are no compatibility problems with stuff designed for Debian version.
              I wonder if Wayland session of KDE works.
              I remember Raspberry Pi developers were trying at some point to do that for Raspbian, but haven't heard anything about it for quite some time.

Comment

I thought some distros were starting to move from PulseAudio to Pipewire now, and Raspberry Pi OS is just making the move to PulseAudio?

Originally posted by Mthw View Post

Manjaro is not a distro with competent or trustworthy developers.

Comment

Originally posted by aspen View Post
                  Manjaro is not a distro with competent or trustworthy developers.
                  I mentioned Manjaro mostly because it is easier to install for beginners. For everyone else there is Arch Linux (ARM).

Comment

Originally posted by KaoDome View Post
                    I have a 3B running on Arch, headless, to do some automation and DNS filtering, it's sort of a waste and I thought of replacing it for something else of late like a ZeroPi, but I don't really have another need for it and the alternatives go for around $20 with postage.

What surprises me is that the graphics department still seem to be tied to certain blobs or APIs or something. From the blog post:

I understand the Pi 3B being old (running it with a 64-bit OS may not make much sense for example), but the 4B with 8GB of RAM? Is it not possible to run any other OS to get full hardware acceleration on the thing? It could make for a decent low-cost alternative for light computing.
                    ubuntu 20.10 is compatible with pi4 and with 8gb ram it have enought resourges for web and office and some light gaming even using gnome and ubuntu is much better alternative than raspeberry os tomany bugs to dated software, ofc it's light for old versions like rpi3b+ but for the 4 with at least 4gb of the ram ubuntu or manjaro are better for desktop and others things no doubts about that

Comment

Working...
                    X