Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
    Bloatware like KDE+Chromium would need desktop quad core and 16 GB RAM
    Wow - I would hope for better technical knowledge on Phoronix... Chromium uses as much memory as it can to cache webpages and tabs, but works with the OS to free it up as needed by other running programs.

There is more to analysing resource usage than opening Task Manager and looking at the numbers. These days unused RAM is wasted RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

Wow - I would hope for better technical knowledge on Phoronix... Chromium uses as much memory as it can to cache webpages and tabs, but works with the OS to free it up as needed by other running programs.

There is more to analysing resource usage than opening Task Manager and looking at the numbers. These days unused RAM is wasted RAM.
      RAM is also used by kernel which has own caches - Buffers and Cached in /proc/meminfo

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

Yeah, caching in RAM is important for user experience in some cases. Except most people are on windows where caches get swapped to disk anyways and it just results in thrashing. Chrome is particularly guilty of forcing Windows to thrash. Some amount of available RAM is critical for user experience on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

...working past whether you mean "viable", or "available", instead of "vailable" (it really doesn't matter)......

"Proposals" or "suggestions" (the adjective "...serious..." is inconsequential; you are serious) such as this surface from time to time, and provide an endless source of amusement and entertainment. They indicate a total lack of understanding as to precisely why Linux is not only stagnating, but continues on its decline--starting about four or five years ago--to more and more mediocrity, with every new "latest and greatest" distro rushed out every six months--because the overwhelming majority of "users" demand it--with more and more bugs (and bugs from the MANY previous versions still not fixed) and regressions, no Q-A and no validation testing, and lack of compatibility with past versions--too many times, sadly, incompatibility with even the previous version. How does the urge to upgrade, knowing that something is almost certain to break, make you feel? BUT...you have the latest, greatest, and biggest! And that is all that matters to most "users" of Linux, and the distro developers which have been forced into this mind-set.

One question only, and we ALL would like a definite, extremely well-thought-out answer--
          precisely HOW do you propose forcing all developers to do ANYTHING?

As long as Linux remains a project, a hobby, rather than a product, it will never succeed. Make no mistake; for most people, Linux IS a hobby; for most, simply knowing that one is using the latest, greatest version which the distro developer has been forced to provide is proof enough that they are a highly, technically competent "Linux user". The reality is that most never learned how to really use, to its fullest, Linux, from the the very first distribution which was ever tried. The further reality is that the use of a Chromebook would make imminently more sense for most "Linux users".
          With a policy at organization level. A policy is not the same and absolute as the word force I used (since you are picky with my selection of words - and btw English is not my native language so please bear with my mistakes) but it would be close enough. And of course I am aware that such a proposal can not happen, it is a rhetorical or hypothetical thought of mine. In order for Gnome to become and work as it should (i.e., lean and mean on computers with orders of magnitude less resources) its developers should be put into the pain they cause - constantly.

RH could do it. They pay most of them so they call the shots.

Comment

Working...
          X