Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS Proposal Adds Support For LZ4HC Compression

Phoronix: F2FS Proposal Adds Support For LZ4HC Compression

The Flash-Friendly File-System (F2FS) already supports LZO, LZ4, and Zstd compression while a proposal would also add support for LZ4HC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With the FS news today I feel like I'm a kid of divorced parents and they're vying for my love and attention.

OpenZFS 2.0: We have Zstd and it does fast.

F2FS: I have that LZ4-HC you've been talking about lately.

Me: OMFG So I've been reading about this RX 6900XT lately

Comment

Shouldn't the acronym for Flash Friendly File System be F3S, should it?

Comment

Originally posted by topolinik View Post
        Shouldn't the acronym for Flash Friendly File System be F3S, should it?
        It's technically Flash-Friendly File System. I suppose it's the hyphen that makes the difference. The hyphenated words get the first acronym, F2, and the unhypenated words get the latter acronym, FS.

FS is also a very common acronym for File System and a lot of file systems follow the naming scheme of **FS where ** is a letter or three or a word: ZFS, XFS, HFS, NTFS, BTRFS, JFS, ReiserFS, SquashFS. F2FS with that acronym follows thet same naming scheme of **FS.

F3S is a charity, a Can-AM model, and a few other things from a quick DDG so I can see why Samsung would pass on F3S as the acronym. Oddly enough, the F2FS Wiki page came up with that F3S search

Comment

What's the current state of this? Was implemented in the end?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
            What's the current state of this? Was implemented in the end?
            Yes, and it's enabled by default in the kernel config. Not sure when it was implemented... GOTO Line 123

Comment

Working...
            X