Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Linux FBDEV Driver Poised For Removal In Favor Of Superior DRM Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Linux FBDEV Driver Poised For Removal In Favor Of Superior DRM Alternative

Phoronix: Another Linux FBDEV Drover Poised For Removal In Favor Of Superior DRM Alternative

For years there have been calls to deprecate Linux's FBDEV and work around replacing FBDEV drivers with modern Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) drivers. While hardware vendors are now trending in the direction of DRM drivers (and the FBDEV emulation support if needed) after the embedded space was somewhat of a holdout, FBDEV drivers and the subsystem still exist as we roll into 2021. But at least one more FBDEV driver is now looking likely for removal in favor of its modern and maintained DRM counterpart...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this a systemd_drover ?

Comment

It drove it in the past, but not anymore. So could technically be correct? It would need motivation I think.

Comment

Give us scrollback support please

It absolutely sucks to use the system without it.

Code:
        [    0.164860] fbcon: Deferring console take-over
        [    0.164861] simple-framebuffer simple-framebuffer.0: fb0: simplefb registered!
        [    0.892245] fbcon: Taking over console

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Give us scrollback support please

It absolutely sucks to use the system without it.
          Have you offered to maintain the removed soft scrollback subsystem? No? Then why are you whining?

(c) hypocritical birdie

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Have you offered to maintain the removed soft scrollback subsystem? No? Then why are you whining?

(c) hypocritical birdie
            What about me strikes you as being hypocritical? Hundreds of bug reports? Critical kernel issues I've helped resolve? My push towards properly handling low-memory situations which led to Fedora including and enabling earlyoom by default?

I'm not a C programmer, I'm not even a programmer at all. And I don't have money to sponsor this feature in the kernel. Please kindly f off.

Comment

You know, I think Michael's typo is actually a fun new word. If you can make a noun from the verb drive, then surely you can make a noun from the past tense drove.

Comment

Red Drover Red Drover Send FBDEV Right Over.

birdie My hypothetical solution to that is similar to the one I have for 4K where very early on in the boot process systemd gets the display size and resolution and then sets the resolution, console fonts, and scaling accordingly. No reason scrollback and other features can't be manipulated by the hypothetical systemd-console-display either.

I didn't fully get some of the 4K comments until I watched the boot output on a 55" 4K TV. I'd like to say it was a night and day change in perspective, but it was more like night changing into night with bad vision because the letters might as well be blurry stars.

Comment

What about me strikes you as being hypocritical?
                  The fact that whenever someone criticizes or merely points out problems in various (your favorite) free software projects, you are invariably first to jump throats and start insulting everyone on the basis that if they do not directly contribute to solving the problem(s) at hand, they somehow are "ingrateful users" which are not even allowed to complain.

Notably, it appears you do not practice what you preach.

Hundreds of bug reports? Critical kernel issues I've helped resolve? My push towards properly handling low-memory situations which led to Fedora including and enabling earlyoom by default?

I'm not a C programmer, I'm not even a programmer at all. And I don't have money to sponsor this feature in the kernel.
                  I congratulate you on your spamtoberfest-grade contributions, but this is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    I didn't fully get some of the 4K comments until I watched the boot output on a 55" 4K TV. I'd like to say it was a night and day change in perspective, but it was more like night changing into night with bad vision because the letters might as well be blurry stars.
                    If you can't clearly read the text on a 4K 55" screen then the display is either using a non-standard pixel format or it is not supporting full 4:4:4 chroma at 4K. It doesn't have the bandwidth, it is plugged into the wrong port, or the TV settings need to have HDMI 2.0 turned on (yes even if the GPU is only 1.4. Full bandwidth is a 2.0 feature. May also be called Deep Color.)

I have used my Vega 56 on an LG 55" OLED display and the text is perfectly clear. It is small so you need to sit close but it's exactly like having a 4x4 arrangement of 24" 1080p displays.

Comment

Working...
                    X