No announcement yet.

OpenZFS 2.0 Released With Unified FreeBSD/Linux Support, Many New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm shocked anyone gave a toss about freebsd to even put in the work, plus the word "unified" is bit of a misnomer since the code is now mostly "if freebsd do this"

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
      i'm shocked anyone gave a toss about freebsd to even put in the work, plus the word "unified" is bit of a misnomer since the code is now mostly "if freebsd do this"
      Oh look a 5 year old is having a tantrum.

Comment

Since I'm one of the biggest Phoronix ZFS shills, I think it's more than ironic that OpenZFS 2.0 came out on my birthday.

But between OpenZFS 2.0 and F2FS LZ4-HC this is a great day for a file system geek.

Comment

It's time for another variant of GNU using a BSD kernel. Debian once did it with FreeBSD's kernel. The next version of Hyperbola will be based on OpenBSD but they won't include ZFS. See: https://itsfoss.com/hyperbola-linux-bsd/

Comment

Originally posted by mmsX View Post
            It's time for another variant of GNU using a BSD kernel. Debian once did it with FreeBSD's kernel. The next version of Hyperbola will be based on OpenBSD but they won't include ZFS. See: https://itsfoss.com/hyperbola-linux-bsd/
            The OpenBSD kernel still has an FGL, i.e., a giant lock. Pretty much everything that needs an OS is multi-core these days ...

Comment

Originally posted by mmsX View Post
              My goodness. GPL based BSD.

We have plans on porting BTRFS, JFS2, NetBSD’s CHFS, DragonFlyBSD’s HAMMER/HAMMER2 and the Linux kernel’s JFFS2, all of which have licenses compatible with GPLv3. Long term, we may also support Ext4, F2FS, ReiserFS and Reiser4, but they will need to be rewritten due to being licensed exclusively under GPLv2, which does not allow use with GPLv3. All of these file systems will require development and stability testing, so they will be in later HyperbolaBSD releases and not for our initial stable version(s).
              Is this dude for real?

Well, good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post
                From a legal perspective, keep in mind that Oracle is likely to get plain interfaces (APIs) as protectable IP ... Supreme court case is ongoing, if I understand correctly.
                Except ZFS is already released with a more permissive license than GPL. I'm guessing Canonical did their legal work here, and I do notice that it's been years since Canonical started integrating ZFS support into Ubuntu and Oracle hasn't tried to sue them. ZFS is even the recommended filesystem for LXD. The Java thing is quite different. Java was never open sourced.

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post

Except ZFS is already released with a more permissive license than GPL. I'm guessing Canonical did their legal work here, and I do notice that it's been years since Canonical started integrating ZFS support into Ubuntu and Oracle hasn't tried to sue them. ZFS is even the recommended filesystem for LXD. The Java thing is quite different. Java was never open sourced.
                  Despite all the FUD, Oracle cannot really sue anything about it, as the CDDL license explicitly grants patent rights to consumers.

Comment

Working...
                  X