PAPPL 1.0 RC1 Released With A Goal To Replace CUPS Printer Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAPPL 1.0 RC1 Released With A Goal To Replace CUPS Printer Drivers

Phoronix: PAPPL 1.0 RC1 Released With A Goal To Replace CUPS Printer Drivers

CUPS printing system founder Michael Sweet who left Apple last year and that left CUPS in a stagnate position (as of writing, still no commits to their Git repository since April) while Sweet continues pushing ahead with his new and modern "PAPPL" effort...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not sure I understand exactly what this is. Hasn't there already been a driver for IPP?

Comment

Why the name though, this was a missed opportunity:

apple sux printz haz again

aspha

Then sprinkle on some systemd:

systemd_aspha

He could have had a cat logo with dialog: "I can haz printz???"

Last edited by onlyLinuxLuvUBack; 30 November 2020, 12:00 PM.

Comment

why nobody in linux world continue the cups work? I have no ideia since is frucal feature for servers

Comment

I think it's because Apple owns the CUPS trademark? They do the releases for it too, except not anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
            why nobody in linux world continue the cups work? I have no ideia since is frucal feature for servers
            OpenPrinting CUPS Sources. Contribute to OpenPrinting/cups development by creating an account on GitHub.

The reality is the cups work has not stopped.

Originally posted by grigi View Post
            I think it's because Apple owns the CUPS trademark? They do the releases for it too, except not anymore...
            Don't guess.

Reality most Linux distributions and BSDs have not been using stock Apple provided cups for a long time but the OpenPrinting version of cups with extras for the Linux and BSD platform. The work there does not stop just because Apple does not do releases.

Of course apple may be totally doubling down on airprinting as in driver-less printing.

Something to be aware is more and more printers these days are coming out with driver-less printing so the need of per printer drivers is fading away. Same with scanners and other things.

To me PAPPL Printer Application Framework looks like attempt to setup transition from the model where we have to install a driver per OS so a printer works to the final model where there is a standard that everyone made printer has so rendering per OS drivers for printer useless. Of course for existing driver requiring printers all disappear is going to take a few decades.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

OpenPrinting CUPS Sources. Contribute to OpenPrinting/cups development by creating an account on GitHub.

The reality is the cups work has not stopped.

Don't guess.

Reality most Linux distributions and BSDs have not been using stock Apple provided cups for a long time but the OpenPrinting version of cups with extras for the Linux and BSD platform. The work there does not stop just because Apple does not do releases.

Of course apple may be totally doubling down on airprinting as in driver-less printing.

Something to be aware is more and more printers these days are coming out with driver-less printing so the need of per printer drivers is fading away. Same with scanners and other things.

To me PAPPL Printer Application Framework looks like attempt to setup transition from the model where we have to install a driver per OS so a printer works to the final model where there is a standard that everyone made printer has so rendering per OS drivers for printer useless. Of course for existing driver requiring printers all disappear is going to take a few decades.

This.

Comment

PAPPL supports JPEG / PNG / PWG Raster / Apple Raster / raw printing to printers via USB or network connections
                ... and Postscript? Will it support PPD config files?

Comment

Originally posted by flockmock View Post
                  ... and Postscript? Will it support PPD config files?
                  Going forwards the answer is no.

Because Postscript and PPD are both declared legacy for IPP and to phased out. There is some talk that PAPPL will support PDF in future I hope that is the case.

There is a reason why PDF over Postscript. PDF/X has support for proper colour space data to be encoded to a define and stable standard.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                    Of course for existing driver requiring printers all disappear is going to take a few decades.
                    So true. My wife and I are currently using an HP LaserJet 1200 that we picked up at a garage sale ~9 years ago for $4 (and $2 for an extra new-in-box toner cartridge). That printer was released in 2002 and still works amazingly well. The original toner cartridge that was in the printer finally died earlier this year. Another 5-10 years and I might need a new/refilled one.

I hooked it up to a Pi running cups so I could use it as a network print server, and now everyone in the house can print without anxiety. And now we're doing it at a much cheaper cost per page than the junky inkjets we used to use periodically, what with the nozzles/cartridges drying out/clogging between uses all the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X