X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life on Linux:
    - Does component X work fine now?
    - It does.
    - Have annoying bugs been taken care of?
    - Almost completely.
    - Is user experience top-notch?
    - It is.
    - Good. Now let's replace it with something newer and better.

But that's a big part of why I love Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Life on Linux:
      - Does component X work fine now?
      - It does.
      - Have annoying bugs been taken care of?
      - Almost completely.
      - Is user experience top-notch?
      - It is.
      - Good. Now let's replace it with something newer and better.
      To be fair, PulseAudio is not "just" getting good enough, it's been working quite smoothly since 2012 or so.

Comment

Hoping this may help resolve issues with the sound on Dell XPS 17 9700 laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          on ubuntu?
          Yes, but before that. I'm not talking about the rocky start of 8.04LTS, which after all, became one of the best distros of its time, even if it had a rocky start with PulseAudio. The idea, as I remember it, was to get it eyeballs on it so it could be fixed in time for the first LTS upgrade. They got it done in time, so I wasn't very phased by that. Sure, it was slightly annoying for those of us who chose to be in early, but if users of other distros want to tell me about the smooth desktop experience provided by their distros in 2008, I think they should save that story for their grandchildren and save us who were actually there. If anyone really wants to revisit this history, the install images are available. I think that Fedora users would probably have the most to gain from such a refresher. To my knowledge, they still haven't accomplish their first LTS upgrade, meaning they've never been in the situation that Ubuntu was in.

No, I meant that I remember when PulseAudio came along in general. There were so many things we thought it'd easily solve that's still problematic today. I'm not getting my hopes up too early, is what I'm trying to say. Pipewire sounds really awesome, but there are a lot of moving parts in that system when properly connected with Wayland and Flatpak.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post

To be fair, PulseAudio is not "just" getting good enough, it's been working quite smoothly since 2012 or so.
            To be fair, I didn't actually say "good enough". But I did say "top-notch"

Comment

They finally got their heads out of their asses and made a release?

That's commendable. Maybe now the bluetooth codecs work finally gets unblocked.

Comment

on ubuntu?
                Ubuntu adopted pulseaudio around the same time a lot of other distros did. What is your point?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  Ubuntu adopted pulseaudio around the same time a lot of other distros did. What is your point?
                  you can use same software as others but configure it in broken way. if you have sound broken on ubuntu, it's only ubuntu's failure, distro's job is to integrate working software. i.e. usually morons hating pulseaudio would hate ubuntu instead if they were smarter.

Comment

you can use same software as others but configure it in broken way.
                    Ubuntu had some configuration issues when it first started using pulseaudio... 12 years ago. But they've been fixed since then. Or is there something specific still occurring that you can point to?

if you have sound broken on ubuntu, it's only ubuntu's failure.. usually morons hating pulseaudio would hate ubuntu instead if they were smarter
                    Right, because pulseaudio (and underlying ALSA modules) have never had any bugs and have perfectly supported all audio hardware since the beginning of time. Cool story. If you're looking for morons, start with the mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                      Right, because pulseaudio (and underlying ALSA modules) have never had any bugs and have perfectly supported all audio hardware since the beginning of time.
                      right, because "had one bug for one person once" will produce negligible amounts of hate compared to "broken audio for everyone". the point is as long as you hate software instead of distro, you are imbecile(where is your mirror now?). integrating wrong software is distro fault.

Comment

Working...
                      X