No announcement yet.

Intel "coIOMMU" Can Help With Performance For VMs When Using Direct I/O Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel "coIOMMU" Can Help With Performance For VMs When Using Direct I/O Access

Phoronix: Intel "coIOMMU" Can Help With Performance For VMs When Using Direct I/O Access

Currently when directly assigning I/O devices to virtual machines the guest memory needs to be statically pinned unless using a vIOMMU setup in which case it does not but there are performance implications there as well. Intel engineers though have been working on a virtual IOMMU implementation with DMA buffer tracking to overcome these limitations...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...l-coIOMMU-2020

IOMMU is useful for what? It has been compared to GART function in AGP technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      IOMMU is useful for what? It has been compared to GART function in AGP technology.
      GPU passthrough.

Comment

Michael While I hadn't clicked on this article or looked at the comments, I got a notification about the first post being made. Just thought it was odd and worth mentioning since that's never happened before.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          I use it to passthrough GPUs, NVME disks, SATA optical disks, NVME, SATA, and SCSI controllers, and USB controllers. It works amazingly well, with my VMs achieving 94% to 97% the performance of bare metal.

Comment

Small typo: widely-applicble, -> "a" missing :-)

Comment

Initial support for IOMMU landed in Core2 Quad, although implemenation wasn't very good back then.

I've been using it in servers and gaming machines for 7 years. It's very underrated technology IMO. It basically allows you to isolate hardware from your host OS.

Comment

So this coIOMMU is going to be only available to Intel processors supporting a new Vt-d extension? Or is AMD going to be able to support it too?

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                  So this coIOMMU is going to be only available to Intel processors supporting a new Vt-d extension? Or is AMD going to be able to support it too?
                  Unclear, the technique shouldn't be exclusive, and meant to leverage existing vt-d extension w/some driver magic, or operate entirely as a virtual IOMMU with KVM.

Full paper below

https://www.usenix.org/system/files/atc20-tian.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post

Unclear, the technique shouldn't be exclusive, and meant to leverage existing vt-d extension w/some driver magic, or operate entirely as a virtual IOMMU with KVM.

Full paper below

https://www.usenix.org/system/files/atc20-tian.pdf
                    Thanks for that, seems the article might need to be corrected then:

"Intel's proof-of-concept coIOMMU implementation is an extension of Intel VT-d" vs the papers "In our prototype, we build coIOMMU by extending an existing vIOMMU, which emulates the Intel VT-d hardware".

Still not sure how well that works with AMD-Vi, but good to know it'd work with existing Intel VT-d capable CPUs. I assume that AMD CPUs don't use vIOMMU emulating VT-d, but would be their own equivalent extension. I'm sure when available, Michael can probably clarify that with a benchmark article

Comment

Working...
                    X