Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Conference 2020 Material Now Available

Phoronix: Arch Linux Conference 2020 Material Now Available

For fans of the Arch Linux distribution their Arch Conf 2020 virtual presentations have all been posted now for your enjoyment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That GamerOS seemed really interesting until I realized that the DE was Steam Big Picture Mode. GNOME would have been a better choice. But I really liked the idea of a gaming-based OS with a background live update on a BTRFS subvolume -- that's pretty cool right there.

Comment

GamerOS sounds cool, but they could have used Manjaro as the base system rather than the clear Arch, as Manjaro provides more stable packages through the Stable branch, and that would also allow to enable automatic system updates.

Comment

Since GamerOS is craving Valve's Steam DRM platform so much. Why not call the OS some of these more suitable alternatives:
        • DRMOS (Pronounced Dermos; like "Demo" because that is pretty much all you have bought)
        • IDontOwnAnyOfMyStuffOS
        • IBasicallyRentMyGamesOS
        • UnspecifiedTimeLimitedDemoOS
        • DefectiveByDesignButIAmAMugOS
        • AllMyStuffLostWhenValveDropsSupportOS
        • ICantHaveAnOfflineGamingPCBecauseINeedToReactivate-GamesEvery60DaysOS
        • ABankruptCompanyCantPayDevelopersToRemoveDRMOS
        or my personal favourite (also a bit shorter than some of the others):
        • MugOS
        "A proactive UNIX-like operating system for consumers who are mugs"

... catchy huh?
        Last edited by kpedersen; 07 November 2020, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Really? Oh. Wait. It all makes sense. You run FreeBSD.
          • FuckinRetardsEvErywhereBSD
          • NoOneMakesGamesForMyOsBSD
          • ICanHasNvidiaDriverBSD
          • SteamWon'tSupportMySystemBSD
          • NoStuffToLoseBecauseNoOneMakesStuffForBSD
          • SonyPleaseDonateWeNeedMoneyBSD
          • ICanAlsoHasNetflixServerBSD
          • AppleWeAlsoNeedMoneyBSD
          • NoOneBothersGivingUsDRMBSD

and my personal favorite (just as clusterfucky as the others):
          • DefectiveByDesignUntilAppleAndSonySpendsMoneyOnOur DesktopBSD

"A class of UNIX-based operating systems by companies for consumers with money who buy stuff that does things"

...descriptions huh?

(Two can play at that game )

Comment

LOL, guys fighting for their distros. Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by pranav View Post
              Mine was meant to more be against DRM

Horrible stuff regardless of platform you want to run it on.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              ...descriptions huh?
              I actually quite like some of those.
              As far as I am concerned, not having Valves thieving tentacles in a platform is a feature. Perhaps it *should* be advertised more.
              Last edited by kpedersen; 08 November 2020, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pranav View Post
                You don't know us very well or you'd realize that was just playful banter.

For the record, I think (Free)BSD is a terrific OS for certain tasks; (proprietary) gaming, however, isn't really one of them aside from proprietary solutions like Playstation and Apple (and, yeah, I know that macOS/iOS is a stretch). A lot of people play Bejeweled Candy Edition on mobile and, unfortunately yet technically, they count toward BSD gamer numbers.

If it wasn't for the Xbox being Windows-based I'd reckon that the Apple/Sony BSD combo would make BSD the number one used gaming platform over Windows. And cue the "it isn't open source BSD so it doesn't count" crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  I actually quite like some of those.
                  As far as I am concerned, not having Valves thieving tentacles in a platform is a feature. Perhaps it *should* be advertised more.
                  I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand I like having (quality) access to the things that I buy, on the other hand I like knowing my OS doesn't have any possible bullcrap hidden in closed up DRM.

Comment

A lot of people play Bejeweled Candy Edition on mobile and, unfortunately yet technically, they count toward BSD gamer numbers.
                    Yeah, it mainly depends on who I am trying to convince. Perhaps a typical person on something like Facebook would be impressed with these BSD gaming stats but the average user on a tech forum such as this would probably just laugh at me

I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand I like having (quality) access to the things that I buy, on the other hand I like knowing my OS doesn't have any possible bullcrap hidden in closed up DRM.
                    Software with DRM holds absolutely no value for me. Actually, people couldn't pay me to have this kind of stuff installed because I find it an insult. However not everyone feels this way or cares quite enough (and admittedly for something that isn't life critical I do see this point). So I guess I am "lucky" in that not having access to this is certainly not a blocker for me.

I think my main annoyance with this stuff is that without it, sure we would have less games overall. But what we would have would be cleaner and less creepy. And in the long run due to the way DRM works we are actually going to end up with less games (20-30 years in the future). As a big DOS gaming fan, this would have been tragic if online DRM was around back then.
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 08 November 2020, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X