Arch Linux Conference 2020 Material Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Yeah, it mainly depends on who I am trying to convince. Perhaps a typical person on something like Facebook would be impressed with these BSD gaming stats but the average user on a tech forum such as this would probably just laugh at me
    I totally agree. It's like statistics. Anybody smart enough can manipulate the results to push an angle. The only people who will catch it are other smart people and, unfortunately, when they/we call shenanigans we're told that we're the fake news.

Software with DRM holds absolutely no value for me. Actually, people couldn't pay me to have this kind of stuff installed because I find it an insult. However not everyone feels this way or cares quite enough (and admittedly for something that isn't life critical I do see this point). So I guess I am "lucky" in that not having access to this is certainly not a blocker for me.

I think my main annoyance with this stuff is that without it, sure we would have less games overall. But what we would have would be cleaner and less creepy. And in the long run due to the way DRM works we are actually going to end up with less games (20-30 years in the future). As a big DOS gaming fan, this would have been tragic if online DRM was around back then.
    About the only way I like DRM is in the form of anti-cheating. I can't stand playing a game when some asshat hacks the server and cheats it up...even when it benefits me and I get odd and special abilities; I don't want to be called a cheater and risk a VAC ban. Luckily for us most DRM is eventually cracked so it becomes a moot point as time goes on. That's not a good or a bad thing, it just is.

It's also why I'm really watching Oracle Vs Google. If Google loses then most all emulators, VMs, Wine, DRM workarounds, etc can potentially be made illegal since you have to copy the APIs to emulate the software being ran. It's a scary thought and at least a few Supreme Court Justices get that. I'm glad Justice Stephen Breyer has that QWERTY keyboard analogy. Then there's the asshat Justice Brett Kavanaugh saying "well nothing bad has happened yet". Because they're waiting on y'all to rule one way or the other. Geez. How can someone making that dumb of a statement be a Supreme Court Justice?

Comment

Working...
    X