Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coats
    replied
    Looking at individual Fortran benchmarks on OpenBenchmark, I find some things I am really curious about;-( For example, for scimark2, 3700X 8-core posts a score of 1160 (ahead of 3900X 12-core's 1126), and way ahead of 5959X and 5900X (with 886 and 872, respectively); it's also worse than AMD 2700's 994.

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
    I see that outrage regarding ZEN3 not being given for free still continues LOL. Also it's hilarious to witness how random internet chads argue with AMD representative on what actually was going on at AMD in 2007, cause you know, reddit knowns better basically

Comparing current price of the last gen with new gen is also effing genius logic, because last gen totally did not loose lika a 30% price since it's launched

But, seriuosly, we must talk about entry price for a "class" of the product. You see 5600x is same class as 1600, and 1600 cost shit now, su there is a massive value regression here, AMD is bad LOL

Rocket Lake won't have 10C model, ergo no 10C "class". I'll be waiting for insights how RL value is infinitely worse than CL, cause no such class, ergo 0 LOL
    Honestly I feel $550 for a 12C24T 5900X is a banging good deal, I can't wait to get my hands on one. Especially considering the performance uplift, for a little over half a grand? Without question a total steal.

If anything AMD really outdid themselves on pricing.

I can't think of a better time to start picking up on learning blender as I have been lately. Exciting times in computing.
    Last edited by creative; 07 November 2020, 11:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• drakonas777
    replied
    I see that outrage regarding ZEN3 not being given for free still continues LOL. Also it's hilarious to witness how random internet chads argue with AMD representative on what actually was going on at AMD in 2007, cause you know, reddit knowns better basically

Comparing current price of the last gen with new gen is also effing genius logic, because last gen totally did not loose lika a 30% price since it's launched

But, seriuosly, we must talk about entry price for a "class" of the product. You see 5600x is same class as 1600, and 1600 cost shit now, su there is a massive value regression here, AMD is bad LOL

Rocket Lake won't have 10C model, ergo no 10C "class". I'll be waiting for insights how RL value is infinitely worse than CL, cause no such class, ergo 0 LOL

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Originally posted by Teggs View Post

If that slide isn't being used as a cautionary marketing tale in college instruction, it should be.

In any case, AMD's engineers made a hell of an achievement. In fact, Intel aren't the only ones who are going to look bad. Apple's ARM-based Macintosh offerings were going to be disappointing already, now they are probably going to look like garbage. The 'x86 is dead because Apple/Nvidia/ARM!' crowd is going to have to wait a while.
    What's really sad to me is constraints that the engineers at Intel have faced. The top management just don't want to take risks. Top engineers recommend investing in refactoring to avoid deminishing returns. https://youtu.be/Nb2tebYAaOA?t=1567 (speculating) Intel's magement are not listening to this logic and would rather invest in marketing.

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    Availability grrr... Was very ready to get a 5900X but none are available at MSRP. That being said, I still have the great 3600 place holder until I can get one. Big reason I settled on the 3600, $175 was all I was willing to spend cause I knew something was going to be worth waiting for.
    Last edited by creative; 07 November 2020, 11:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    These glued dies are doing quite well.

Is Magic Glue®

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    Originally posted by pmorph View Post

So... by that value assessment, you expect almost no one to buy a 5600X?
    I am sure that AMD will have a record quarter, Zen 3 is technologically a great product. I just point out the obvious price hike and complain about it as I see it as a huge value regression for the majority of shoppers (for whom such a six core would be enough to satisfy their needs). That might be corrected next year by the release of a non-X 5600 at the 200 EUR/US-$ price point, but not at launch - Zen 2 launched with such a 200 EUR/US-$ SKU and AMD made sure that you got them for the MSRP during the first few weeks after launch. This time they are sold out immediatly at much higher than MSRP prices. These are valid points to criticise, but I don't read or hear much about it in the tech press (at least Hardware Unboxed provided the cost per frame numbers in their review, we unfortunately didn't get any price/performance numbers on Phoronix this time).

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    Originally posted by Marco-GG View Post
    I really fail to see why so many people keeps trying to imply that this CPUs are bad with this price increase when they deliver a better performance than their Intel counterparts and AMD previous gen in the same price segment.
    Because Intel's pricing is absurd to begin with. Their manufacturing woes and prioritizing higher margin server CPUs made it clear why they haven't lowered their prices in spite of having the inferior product, they actually didn't want to sell anything on the consumer market as the margins are simply lower there than in the server market. If you have a limited amount of wafers to sell, guess which market gets prioritized?! The higher margin one! This is slowly changing as more of their products move to newer process nodes which they need to operate at full capacity to recoup their investments and therefore have more capacity on 14nm to serve the client market again.

I don't say the 5000 series CPUs are bad, I just say that the 5600X (which matters the most because of sales volume, the market for high-end CPUs is rather limited) has got terrible value in comparison to the 3600 (X) now. And you fall for the fallacy to compare it with an absurdly priced product to begin with. You could also argue with your parents that a D which you've got in math today is not a bad grade after all because your friend got an F.

Leave a comment:

• blackshard
    replied
    Originally posted by ms178 View Post

The 3600 also has an unlocked multiplier and can be clocked to the same levels. There are no TDP restrictions with Ryzen, the stock clocks don't matter for tech savvy users like me and with Ryzen overclocking is childs play and not voodoo art, if you don't use that capability you probably won't even notice a difference in games between these CPUs anyway, so why pay more if you can get away with less?

You picture my calculations as somewhat artificial, but they only reflect situation a potential buyer faces today (and I made it clear that the situation could look different in a month or two, I assume people know that street prices change all the time). And in my calculation I was using the MSRP for the 5600X to reflect that street prices for the 5600X are off by a fair amount due to the demand/lack of supply, but that means that the numbers are even worse in reality today (as long as the supply/demand situation isn't smoothed out which can take at least two more months, we don't know yet). And there are people who buy these CPUs right now at launch, so this isn't some artificial scenario I came up with here. My point still stands: In comparison to the 3600 (and even the X-part) the new 5600X is terrible value. These numbers don't lie, this is not an opinion, this is a fact. If you still want to pay the price for getting the absolute best, go for it. But a lot of people can get by with the older parts and enjoy a better value.
    Indeed you are right about the unlocked multiplier, both 3600 and 3600X have it. TDP is different though, and that may make a difference for childs play overclocking.
    I perfectly agree that the 5600X may not be the best worth CPU nowadays because the price/performance ratio of 3600 is better, but that thing happens quite often when new products with new features come in the market. I'm looking in particular for gaming performance results, which are going to get a boost from Zen3 architecture and they may be worthwhile for gamers. Indeed a savvy user would opt for a 3600 if best price/performance is the goal.

AMD just wants to monetize the new architecture and enthusiasts are going to pay the extra price for the feeling to have something new, also the extra price will keep away savvy users that will opt for the older architecture emptying warehouses thus making room for the newcomers. I don't say that you're not right, I just say that there is a perfectly reasoned rationale behind that pricepoint

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by treba View Post
    Now I'm really exited now to see what they will offer on mobile. The 4800H is already incredibly powerful - but if this uplift applies in similar fashion for the 6800H(?), that should finally justify an upgrade from my i5-6440HQ, assuming it would cut compile times considerably.
    Its kinda sad whats happening in the mobile space. AMD has much better CPU's but it hasn't translated well into the laptop market because

1. No thunderbolt
    2. Laptop manufacturers had exclusivity agreements with Intel (i.,e. project ultrabook, project athena) in order to design their laptops. Intel provided RnD/engineering experience on how to construct the laptop but this meant that the manufacturer had to use an Intel CPU.

I think its gonna take a good couple of years before seeing decent range of AMD based laptops. Without thunderbolt I am also not personally getting an AMD laptop.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X