AMD Ryzen 9 5900X/5950X Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
    Gosh darn it, I just bought a new system with an R7 3700X last year, and now I'm going to have to buy a new 5000 series CPU!
    Maybe I should be looking for one of those 3700Xs on second hand market to replace my 2700X.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

Maybe I should be looking for one of those 3700Xs on second hand market to replace my 2700X.
      Oh yes, I'm sure many will be selling them over the next year Tomin, including myself of course. I also need to get rid of my old Sapphire Nitro R9 390, so hopefully having both to sell will provide the motivation to get up off my lazy behind and do something.

Comment

Yup I'm also somewhat regretting getting a 3800X, but it was almost a year ago... though not much faster single-threaded than the haswell it replaced, this looks very nice!

Comment

Why test both AMD and Intel with crap governors that severely impact frame time consistency?
          Every benchmark that doesn't explicitly test the governors themselves should be set to performance governor or no governor (block acpi_cpufreq and intel_pstate) at all.

Comment

The last Intel holdout for the average consumer (gaming) falls to AMD.

I've been really pleased with my 3900X I got last year for a crunching box, but I won't upgrade that unless I can keep using the same motherboard, so it'll have to wait. But I'll look at a 5800X for my Windows (gaming) rig, as that is approaching four years old. As much as I'd like a 5950X for it, it's rather hard to justify at 32-thread CPU for a box that isn't going to be doing any serious crunching.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
              The last Intel holdout for the average consumer (gaming) falls to AMD.
              Yeah. That's what being totally left in the dust means it seems. I assume switching to ring bus topology did the trick there.
              And it does not mean ring cache access/coherency bus is better, it just means existing 'generic' optimizations are doing better with it.

Comment

Awesome performance. AMD is top now and best thing is power draw for those cpus. Ordered 5900X hope it will be delivered as people bought it withing minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Since you pulled it from git I guess it already has this new L3 cache implementation which will increase the performance on newer Ryzens.
                  From the version string in the chart, it looks like it was from git as of 10/15, which I believe was before that optimization landed.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

From the version string in the chart, it looks like it was from git as of 10/15, which I believe was before that optimization landed.
                    mh then it would be interesting to do this benchmark again . Especially the tested CPU could profit a lot. Afaik its predecessor 3950X got up to 30% improvments in some cases?

Comment

Michael, the RAM for Ryzen is very consequential, can you tell us the speed and CL parameter please. And hopefully you have the resources to run a bench of various memory speeds/CLs e.g. from 3200 to 4000 and from CL14 to whatever higher value.

Comment

Working...
                      X