Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 9 5900X/5950X Linux Gaming Performance

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X/5950X Linux Gaming Performance

After just publishing the results of 200+ Linux benchmarks under many diverse workloads for the Ryzen 9 5900X and Ryzen 9 5950X we see the 16~20% performance lift is very real and very broad from obscure open-source niche software through high profile programs... What about the Linux gaming performance? This article offers a first look at the Ryzen 9 5900X/5950X Linux gaming performance compared to Zen 2 and the Core i9 10900K while being the first of several Linux gaming performance articles coming out this month.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do you remember the last decade:
    4 cores + incremental improvement of 10% (maybe 15% to be fair) from gen to gen....calm intel times. No worries because the price was too high anyway.

Now, I have the urge to buy a processor after each new release.

Comment

wow, +50% perf in X-Plane over the 3000 series, just what I need.

Comment

Gaming/single threaded looking real good on Zen 3. I was very tempted to buy one since my current CPU is an 8 year old i5.
        Last edited by abu_shawarib; 05 November 2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

This is great!

Are the benchmarks done with the proprietary or open source drivers? (to be clear, I'm not advocating for either/or)

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post
            This is great!

Are the benchmarks done with the proprietary or open source drivers? (to be clear, I'm not advocating for either/or)
            As shown on the table, Mesa 20.3.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

As shown on the table, Mesa 20.3.
              Since you pulled it from git I guess it already has this new L3 cache implementation which will increase the performance on newer Ryzens.

Comment

Michael, can you please check how are IOMMU grouping looks like on motherboard you have?
                I just wonder how it's gonna work for VFIO.

Comment

Very nice, not that 100+FPS 3000 series gives is unplayable, but 5000 series are really good CPUs for everything it seems.

Comment

Gosh darn it, I just bought a new system with an R7 3700X last year, and now I'm going to have to buy a new 5000 series CPU!

I don't really need it, as the 3700X is awesome and already exceeds the performance I require. But wow, AMD is doing such an incredible job they deserve to be rewarded. It will take awhile to take down the Intel behemoth, and AMD is going to need as much loyal support as possible going forward to do it.

And just imagine what a better computing world we'll have when Intel is finally chastised, and once again forced to compete on performance and price as they were after the K7. Those were great days, being delivered again, thank goodness, by AMD.

Comment

Working...
                    X