No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Ryzen 9 5950X Dominate On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had been hoping to hold out for the new Ryzen 9 chips but my server threw a fan blade on the CPU about a month ago so I ended up buying new guts for my workstation and moving the guts of my workstation to my server. Most of these benchmarks are exactly the types of load I do so the performance uplift is very compelling to me. But I have some concerns especially around AV1 encode. I see numbers forAOM AV1 for my current CPU that are in the 36 FPS range but I have never gotten above 0.1 FPS in real world testing. Now my encodes are 4K rather than the Full HD encodes the tests do but still I have to wonder if the bench tests are some how offloading some of the work to the GPU and that is where the performance is? I also couldn't find what video card is being used for the Intel tests. That is important as for most of my graphics work flow the CPU is twiddling it's thumbs while the GPU is on the verge of meltdown. I also wonder how much of the uplift is better encoders as Michael rides the bleeding edge where as I stick to what Fedora, Redhat & RPMFusion have available. There have been a lot of improvements in encoders over the last year especially the AV1 encoders.

Bottom line is this has me very intrigued. If I can knock an hour off of an encode simply by swapping out the CPU it becomes a no brainer for me. I'm just not convinced I will see that kind of gain. In any case I don't have to worry about that yet as my next purchase will be a 6800XT or 6900. After that I will look at where I sit and possibly circle back to looking at the CPU again.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
      I had been hoping to hold out for the new Ryzen 9 chips but my server threw a fan blade on the CPU about a month ago so I ended up buying new guts for my workstation and moving the guts of my workstation to my server. Most of these benchmarks are exactly the types of load I do so the performance uplift is very compelling to me. But I have some concerns especially around AV1 encode. I see numbers forAOM AV1 for my current CPU that are in the 36 FPS range but I have never gotten above 0.1 FPS in real world testing. Now my encodes are 4K rather than the Full HD encodes the tests do but still I have to wonder if the bench tests are some how offloading some of the work to the GPU and that is where the performance is? I also couldn't find what video card is being used for the Intel tests. That is important as for most of my graphics work flow the CPU is twiddling it's thumbs while the GPU is on the verge of meltdown. I also wonder how much of the uplift is better encoders as Michael rides the bleeding edge where as I stick to what Fedora, Redhat & RPMFusion have available. There have been a lot of improvements in encoders over the last year especially the AV1 encoders.

Bottom line is this has me very intrigued. If I can knock an hour off of an encode simply by swapping out the CPU it becomes a no brainer for me. I'm just not convinced I will see that kind of gain. In any case I don't have to worry about that yet as my next purchase will be a 6800XT or 6900. After that I will look at where I sit and possibly circle back to looking at the CPU again.

No GPU acceleration was used in any of the CPU tests (just for the gaming article, obviously). RX 5700 XT was used throughout and anyhow that has no form of AV1 encode.

You can find more AOM-AV1 data in general @ https://openbenchmarking.org/test/pts/aom-av1
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It's amazing the focus AMD has had the last few years to get to this point and with the new Navi cards looking super competitive, you could build an all AMD rig and really not compromise in any meaningful way. I need to upgrade lol.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
          To answer birdie, there is a 5600 coming out to match with the 3600. It's better to compare the 3600x to the 5600x price wise.
          And you base it on what? Gut feelings? Does it even matter if the 5600 is coming or not? AMD is not willing to sell it for at least the first three months which means they are here to make a killing, not cater to price-conscious - their motto of the past which suddenly has evaporated into the thin air. Again, how quickly the tables have turned and how forigiving AMD fans have become to their idol. What's bad for Intel and NVIDIA is just fine if it's AMD. FML.

"To answer me" - you haven't given any answer. You've cleverly avoided the issue by suggesting that you know the future. Now let's imagine for a second AMD will never release the 5600. What then? What will your excuses be for this blatant rip-off?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
            In the previous generation AMD lowered the launch prices because they were in a position where they thought that it would help them sell more CPUs (and thus get more money). Now they upped their launch prices because they think they can get more money that way. They even didn't go insane with the prices but they are still quite well in line with what they offer. Some people will pick competitor's product and some will stick with the older generation and that's totally fine.

Furthermore it's not surprising that previous generation can give more value for the price than the latest. They still want to sell their stock empty. Launch price tends to be higher than what it is once next generation is published and that's just how it works. Also this 50$ more for launch price is quite modest in my opinion. It's very hard to see anything wrong with this.
            It's $50 only if you're blind or prefer not to see facts and they are quite different than $50.

3600 $200 -> 5600X $300, a $100/50% price increase.
            3700X $330 -> 5800X $450, a $120/36% price increase.

But it's all fine because it's AMD and they are allowed to do what Intel and AMD have always been criticised for.

And then some time later AMD will introduce the 6600X at $350 and the 6800X at $500 and suddenly midrange CPUs become as expensive as an entire console and again that will be "fine" because AMD offers the best, right? Why the fuck Intel didn't raise prices despite advancing their CPUs for a decade?

The Intel Core i5 2500 - $205.
            The Intel Core i5 6500 - $192.

The 6500 is much faster, so Intel could have charged top dollar for the CPU, yet they didn't. AMD raising prices - "ah, it's OK, they've beaten the competition". Guess what AMD didn't have a single competitive CPU from 2005 up to 2018. By all accounts Intel should have steadily made their CPUs a LOT more expensive. And in single threaded performance they've only beaten Intel in 2020.

Fuck it. AMD fans logic is something totally twisted.
            Just today I've heard another totally imbecilic excuse: but it's COVID! Yeah, right, COVID is responsible for the pricing.
            Last edited by birdie; 05 November 2020, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

It's $50 only if you're blind or prefer not to see facts and they are quite different than $50.

3600 $200 -> 5600X $300, a $100/50% price increase.
              3700X $330 -> 5800X $450, a $120/36% price increase.

But it's all fine because it's AMD and they are allowed to do what Intel and AMD have always been criticised for.

And then some time later AMD will introduce the 6600X at $350 and the 6800X at $500 and suddenly midrange CPUs become as expensive as an entire console and again that will be "fine" because AMD offers the best, right? Why the fuck Intel didn't raise prices despite advancing their CPUs for a decade?

The Intel Core i5 2500 - $205.
              The Intel Core i5 6500 - $192.

The 6500 is much faster, so Intel could have charged top dollar for the CPU, yet they didn't. AMD raising prices - "ah, it's OK, they've beaten the competition". Guess what AMD didn't have a single competitive CPU from 2005 up to 2018. By all accounts Intel should have steadily made their CPUs a LOT more expensive. And in single threaded performance they've only beaten Intel in 2020.

Fuck it. AMD fans logic is something totally twisted.
              Just today I've heard another totally imbecilic excuse: but it's COVID! Yeah, right, COVID is responsible for the pricing.
              Damn that is what i call twisting facts into oblivion to fit a rant and your definition of "much faster" is very amusing but go ahead and get your mighty 10900k, while somehow you totally forget nVidia prices too.

Most people will pay happily the extra 50$ since it absolutely decimates everything else and is not like AMD is charging 1000$+ for it while taking into account that this CPU even decimate into oblivion the entire HEDT intel Line that still costs 1000$+ for some damn reason and if you add ECC ram it even decimates most Silver and medium Gold Xeon lines that goes way beyond 2000$

So, yeah 50$ more is totally unjustified OMG, lets burn AMD /Sarcasm

Side note:
              The non X SKU are coming later on, since those need lower quality CCX to stock up first and seems this process node is really efficient and honestly they have no need to rush it either since Intel is dead in the water waiting for 10nm to 14+++++++++++ migration next year(which i predict will match Ryzen IPC but pulling 350w of the wall for the burning house MEMEs)

Comment

All AMD cpus were tested with @3600 Mhz DDR 4 ram, where stock ram specification is 3200 Mhz (https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-5900x) .

I see that Core i9 10900K stock ram is DDR 4 2933 Mhz (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-5-30-ghz.html).

I think that all cpus should have been tested with their own specification to get a fairer picture .

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by slotdime View Post
                  All AMD cpus were tested with @3600 Mhz DDR 4 ram, where stock ram specification is 3200 Mhz (https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-5900x) .

I see that Core i9 10900K stock ram is DDR 4 2933 Mhz (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...-5-30-ghz.html).

I think that all cpus should have been tested with their own specification to get a fairer picture .

Regards
                  On Windows even with better memory and OC to 5.2 the 10900k still get whooped into space for the majority of the test, outside of like 4 games where is like 5% faster, not even the 3090 OC helped Intel this time, just made the whooping even harder to swallow

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

In my opinion, the "Bulldozer blunder" is actually a testament to poor support for concurrency in many mainstream programming languages. If AMD was explicitly saying that in order to take advantage of the 8 threads in Bulldozer CPUs developers have to avoid using C/C++/Java/etc as the main programming language, then Bulldozer might have had outperformed Intel's quad-core CPUs in a number of applications.
                    Yup exactly. If many people were using Rust/Haskell/Scala/Go than it would have been a different story (doing concurrency in those languages is much easier than C/C++/Rust)

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

I was curious about this so I just checked my local vendor. All stores have 10+ units. Lets see how long they can hold out.
                      I checked again at the end of the day with this vendor and all stores and online sold out. So that didn't last long. Next question is how fast can AMD resupply them. I live in Vancouver which is one of North America's and Canada's busiest port so if AMD has stock sitting in a warehouse this is a likely place for it. I will check in over the next few days and see if they are able to restock.

Comment

Working...
                      X