Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Changes Begin Lining Up For Fedora 34

Phoronix: More Changes Begin Lining Up For Fedora 34

Fedora 33 was just released at the end of October but already a number of change proposals are building up for Fedora 34 due out next spring...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are the modular keyring services a Fedora change (i.e. downstream) or is it a GNOME change?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
      Are the modular keyring services a Fedora change (i.e. downstream) or is it a GNOME change?
      It is a change made within Fedora but as with many other changes, it will likely end up in getting pushed to upstream GNOME by the next release.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

It is a change made within Fedora but as with many other changes, it will likely end up in getting pushed to upstream GNOME by the next release.
        Personally, I'd rather them split gnome-keyring into systemd-keyring and systemd-keyring-gnome. Maybe it's me, but a keyring service doesn't seem like something that should be desktop specific outside of a GUI. If you keep multiple DEs installed it gets old managing one for GNOME and another for KDE so it'd be nice if either DE could just access the systemd-keyring and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Personally, I'd rather them split gnome-keyring into systemd-keyring and systemd-keyring-gnome. Maybe it's me, but a keyring service doesn't seem like something that should be desktop specific outside of a GUI. If you keep multiple DEs installed it gets old managing one for GNOME and another for KDE so it'd be nice if either DE could just access the systemd-keyring and go from there.
          We are already there

"Despite its original goal to be the central cryptographic service on desktop, the scope of GNOME Keyring has been gradually reduced over years. Notable examples are gpg-agent removal in 2015, PKCS #11 module deprecation and ssh-agent rewrite to wrap ssh-agent from OpenSSH in 2018. Now that only the essential services remaining in gnome-keyring-daemon are D-Bus secret-service and the ssh-agent wrapper, it would be straightforward to split the daemon into sub-daemons per functionality."

On top of this, keep in mind the secret service referred to here is a shared spec also used by KDE

In other words, a shared service service and a ssh forwarding agent is all there is to it.

Comment

Working...
          X