X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireBurn
    replied
    Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I run the enhanced-h264ify extension which does just that, so it is h264 for me, also for AV1 streams.

I would consider Gentoo to be downstream, still. But good to know that they do carry these patches.
    Gentoo are downstream from the Chromium project, but they're upstream from my overlay...

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

I was maintaining chromium ebuilds in my overlay that included the vaapi patches, they are now upstream in Gentoo

I'd double check the video you are playing is in the correct format, my laptop doesn't HW decode VP9 so most youtube videos aren't HW accelerated without h264ify

Equally some newer videos are AV1 on youtube which isn't HW accelerated on my AMD Raven system, I modified h264ify on there to not pick the AV1 streams
    I run the enhanced-h264ify extension which does just that, so it is h264 for me, also for AV1 streams.

I would consider Gentoo to be downstream, still. But good to know that they do carry these patches.

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied

You might be lucky to have a distro which integrates the VA-API patches. I am currently running the official Chrome package on PopOS - and in about:gpu it lies to me that Video decode is enabled, but if you check with about:media-internals there is still the software decoder active (it should be: MojoVideodecoder).

brent , no I haven't run with Webrender, as it is not the default and my point would still stand that I want to see this functionality by default everywhere on Linux. That is sadly still not a thing in 2020.
    I was maintaining chromium ebuilds in my overlay that included the vaapi patches, they are now upstream in Gentoo

I'd double check the video you are playing is in the correct format, my laptop doesn't HW decode VP9 so most youtube videos aren't HW accelerated without h264ify

Equally some newer videos are AV1 on youtube which isn't HW accelerated on my AMD Raven system, I modified h264ify on there to not pick the AV1 streams

Leave a comment:

• zanny
    replied
    It is really promising that not only is all the new hardware in the second half of 2020 supporting AV1 hardware decoding but we also see comprehensive Linux support for all of them.

Leave a comment:

• MadeUpName
    replied
    More AV1 support is a good thing. This really does nothing for me but I hope it helps some one out.

Leave a comment:

• muncrief
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Still? What about OpenBenchmarking.org? (If OpenBenchmarking.org is fast for you, then it's a CloudFlare issue.)
    I'm not having any issues. I'm using the latest Firefox, and just checked Chrome.

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

It's working fine here in Chromium, VP9 too
    You might be lucky to have a distro which integrates the VA-API patches. I am currently running the official Chrome package on PopOS - and in about:gpu it lies to me that Video decode is enabled, but if you check with about:media-internals there is still the software decoder active (it should be: MojoVideodecoder).

brent , no I haven't run with Webrender, as it is not the default and my point would still stand that I want to see this functionality by default everywhere on Linux. That is sadly still not a thing in 2020.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by atomsymbol

Sidenote: Michael I am experiencing a slow response time of several seconds on all Phoronix articles and Phoronix forums.
    Still? What about OpenBenchmarking.org? (If OpenBenchmarking.org is fast for you, then it's a CloudFlare issue.)

Leave a comment:

• zdzichu
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    the DRM scheme you want to use only works in Chome and its children
    What DRM scheme?

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Integrating that functionality into Chromium hopefully won't take forever (but looking at the lack of even H.264 video decode support upstream, I am not optimistic).
    It's working fine here in Chromium, VP9 too

Leave a comment:

Working...
X