Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg Lands VA-API AV1 Decode Support Led By Intel

Phoronix: FFmpeg Lands VA-API AV1 Decode Support Led By Intel

With Intel Gen12 Xe-LP / Tiger Lake supporting AV1 accelerated decoding, Intel has provided this support via their open-source media stack on Linux that is then exposed via the Video Acceleration API (VA-API). Intel has now landed their patches for supporting VA-API AV1 decode with FFmpeg...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Integrating that functionality into Chromium hopefully won't take forever (but looking at the lack of even H.264 video decode support upstream, I am not optimistic).

Comment

If you want hardware acceleration just use Firefox?

Comment

I would use Firefox, but Stadia works only with Chrome and Edge. I'm using patched chromium-freeworld from RPMFusion repository to have accelerated 1080p play.

Comment

Originally posted by Mani View Post
          If you want hardware acceleration just use Firefox?
          No, thank you. I tried it a couple of days ago, but it took not very long to notice the first issues with rendering web pages, especially laggy scrolling and long pauses in rendering the page (and I got a 1 Gbit connection). I have no such issues with Chrome/Chromium. The only issue I have with them is their arrogance when it comes to support hardware video acceleration. At least there are some distributions offering patched packages, but I'd rather see this feature supported upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

No, thank you. I tried it a couple of days ago, but it took not very long to notice the first issues with rendering web pages, especially laggy scrolling and long pauses in rendering the page (and I got a 1 Gbit connection).
            Have you tried enabling WebRender? Overall Firefox is still slightly slower than Chrome, but it's not an issue in practice.
            Last edited by brent; 04 November 2020, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zdzichu View Post
              I would use Firefox, but Stadia works only with Chrome and Edge. I'm using patched chromium-freeworld from RPMFusion repository to have accelerated 1080p play.
              So, the DRM scheme you want to use only works in Chome and its children, yea then you are on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                Integrating that functionality into Chromium hopefully won't take forever (but looking at the lack of even H.264 video decode support upstream, I am not optimistic).
                It's working fine here in Chromium, VP9 too

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                  the DRM scheme you want to use only works in Chome and its children
                  What DRM scheme?

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Sidenote: Michael I am experiencing a slow response time of several seconds on all Phoronix articles and Phoronix forums.
                    Still? What about OpenBenchmarking.org? (If OpenBenchmarking.org is fast for you, then it's a CloudFlare issue.)
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X