Mozilla's DeepSpeech 0.9 Released For Open-Source Speech To Text Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caffarius View Post
    I've been asking for this for awhile. I haven't had time to finish the project but I was having a lot of fun tinkering with Mycroft before I hit the brick wall of having to send voice data to a third party service. DeepSpeech is the last piece we need to host an in-house open source Alexa/Siri replacement.
    So you mean to tell me you came to Mozilla and asked them directly for this? I'm not saying DeepSpeech (or really, any of these side-projects of Mozilla's) aren't useful because of course they are, but it didn't have to take Mozilla to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      You mean nothing besides the entire team being laid off, right? I think Mozilla committed to keeping the website up, but without timely updates its future is far from rosy.
      Timely updates like, say, a major overhaul... that I've just told you is happening right now... maybe...?
      MDN Web Docs are safe and well. There was a lot of "cool" stuff happening on the greater MDN ecosystem, but anything specifically critical to you that you're gonna miss?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I'm not saying DeepSpeech (or really, any of these side-projects of Mozilla's) aren't useful because of course they are, but it didn't have to take Mozilla to make it.
        Not exactly a side-project. Speech recognition/synthesis is becoming a part of the Web Platform, so Firefox will have to have it eventually. And Mozilla doesn't need it only for Linux support, but rather for every platform, to not be dependent on the proprietary services currently offered by the proprietary platforms, specially with the privacy problems involved. Mozilla is also a platform provider (of what may actually be known as "the OS" in the future), so they have a vested interest in these foundational technologies, and a lot of their needs intersect with those of the Linux ecosystem. So it's good that these FOSS communities work together on these.

Comment

And if you really want STT, Mozilla will never match other offers currently available, simply because they lack the training samples and the means to get them.
          I don't see any other offers available on Linux. Let alone open source ones.

Comment

You mean nothing besides the entire team being laid off, right?
            The MDN team lost a number of people but the entire team was not laid off.

Comment

I wonder how much Mozilla spends on bombarding me with their silly "unfck 2020" ad that does advertise for everything but their products.
              Literally, why are they incompetent of making some clear advertising for their products instead of this bs.

Firefox is a awesome project and the last usable browser, DeepSpeech is a awesome project. But they simply cant get their brand popular with their peer group as they bombard the world with silly joke advertisement that may only appeal to a younger non tech interested group that simply does not care what browser they use.

Comment

So you mean to tell me you came to Mozilla and asked them directly for this? I'm not saying DeepSpeech (or really, any of these side-projects of Mozilla's) aren't useful because of course they are, but it didn't have to take Mozilla to make it.
                It is pretty much in line with the gooal to enable people to access the internet/knowledge.
                Then to give illiterate people access to it via speech to text input, seems to be what's left to do.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
                  Not exactly a side-project. Speech recognition/synthesis is becoming a part of the Web Platform, so Firefox will have to have it eventually. And Mozilla doesn't need it only for Linux support, but rather for every platform, to not be dependent on the proprietary services currently offered by the proprietary platforms, specially with the privacy problems involved. Mozilla is also a platform provider (of what may actually be known as "the OS" in the future), so they have a vested interest in these foundational technologies, and a lot of their needs intersect with those of the Linux ecosystem. So it's good that these FOSS communities work together on these.
                  Mind pointing out any websites with speech synthesis that depend on your web browser or a local speech synthesizer? Because so far, all I've ever seen were sites that provide their own speech synthesizer. For everyone else, there's your system's synthesizer.

I just don't see any situation where the browser ought to be responsible for this sort of thing.

Comment

Mind pointing out any websites with speech synthesis that depend on your web browser or a local speech synthesizer? Because so far, all I've ever seen were sites that provide their own speech synthesizer. For everyone else, there's your system's synthesizer.

I just don't see any situation where the browser ought to be responsible for this sort of thing.
                    Well, I didn't say I had example, or even that I've got any idea what people would use it for, because I really don't. But it is an upcoming API [1] in the browser, so people will figure out what to do with it sooner or later. And when they do find amazing new use-cases that were not even possible before, you don't want to be the browser (or OS for that matter) that doesn't support it.

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...Web_Speech_API

Comment

Working...
                    X