No announcement yet.

RadeonSI Gallium3D Adds Support for EGL Protected Surfaces Using AMDGPU TMZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I will never install Windows or Edge and always keep "play DRM content" disabled on Firefox, I can see another use case for this entirely: blocking malicious software (installed by a user's adversaries) from screenshotting secure communications programs. In phones this is encrypted chat like Signal, which does have an option to block screenshots but probably just in software. Repurposing code written for DRM for this would make it much harder for policeware authors to get screenshots of your sensitive conversations, etc.

On the desktop, I would use this for all my raw video editing of sensitive events, in other words use it for one video player and for kdenlive playback. This would block an attacker against me as a point target from exfiltrating raw video of high security events for which redacted video must be published. This can be done now of course by turning off the network entirely, so is not as urgent a case. Signal has to be used online, encrypted email is an intermediate case: could download emails online, then turn network off, but still have to send email at some point.

Comment

This work appears to be mainly driven by AMD APUs beginning to appear in Google Chromebooks and ensuring copy-protected content can play properly, etc.
      Michael The Atari VCS is also an AMD APU and Linux based copy-protected content player. Though they may start with amdgpu-pro driver if the free driver does not have yet the feature to remove freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        This is not only about Netflix, in fact Netflix never even crossed my mind when I wrote that.
        It is about me having access to my computer and my computer system obeying me, and only me, that my computer works for me, not against me.
        if you don't watch netflix, netflix supporting code will not be executed on your computer, so you are safe. you computer can't spontaneously do something. like you have /bin/rm but it isn't going to clean your harddrive unless you run it. or now you will not feel safe when /bin/rm is on your system?

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
          Though they may start with amdgpu-pro driver if the free driver does not have yet the feature to remove freedom.
          The pro driver and free driver are the same driver. The pro driver is just packaged for easy install on certain distros.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            The pro driver and free driver are the same driver. The pro driver is just packaged for easy install on certain distros.
            Wow, do you mean the legacy OpenGL “amdgpu-pro” driver is already plugged-out?

So why I measured 50% framedrop when using amdgpu-pro on Ubuntu 20.04 and Unvanquished? (we are doing some testing).
            I've measured this 50% performance loss on both R9 390X (GCN 2.0, Hawaii/Grenada) and R7 (RX-421BD, GCN 3.0; Carrizo/wani).

Is there a way to test the legacy OpenGL driver?

Comment

I think agd5f is just saying that workstation and all-open variants use the same video paths - kernel and Mesa video driver components.

The OpenGL and Vulkan components still differ between all-open and workstation.
              Last edited by bridgman; 05 November 2020, 02:46 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by amdtesterman View Post

how do you see it?
                It'll be in your dmesg

Comment

Working...
                X