RadeonSI Gallium3D Adds Support for EGL Protected Surfaces Using AMDGPU TMZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
    Does anyone of you have some sources maybe rumours how the plan of Netflix and Amazon etc are to make 4k Streams legally feasible on Linux (not android)? Even proper FullHD for Amazon would already be a step forward.
    I doubt there is any. I'd assume this support was added for Chromebooks and won't do anything on normal linux distros because they won't be able to certify the entire OS as protected.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I doubt there is any. I'd assume this support was added for Chromebooks and won't do anything on normal linux distros because they won't be able to certify the entire OS as protected.
      you only need the hardware to be trusted. If it's trusted on windows (edge), same hardware can be trusted on linux. make the browser advertise encryption, the service will serve an encrypted feed, and the gpu will decrypt it, and render it with no software access to decrypted feed.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        My Raven system finally has working TMZ support since a firmware update sorted the amd-tee stuff
        how do you see it?

Comment

Does anyone of you have some sources maybe rumours how the plan of Netflix and Amazon etc are to make 4k Streams legally feasible on Linux (not android)? Even proper FullHD for Amazon would already be a step forward.
          I dont know nothing about this topic. I would so awesome if Michael can research about it. Because to watch netflix, prime video .. and everything in 480p is really garbage.

Comment

It's not going to happen. They could have made it happen long ago, but they chose not to. They will only play full HD/4K on platforms the user can't control. In the future when 8K displays are commonplace is when you'll get 1080p and 4K video on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

problem is, the content you get is already encrypted.
              That's DRM encryption, that's different but related.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenByte View Post

you only need the hardware to be trusted. If it's trusted on windows (edge), same hardware can be trusted on linux. make the browser advertise encryption, the service will serve an encrypted feed, and the gpu will decrypt it, and render it with no software access to decrypted feed.
                Yes, all of this is possible, but they won't do it. You understand that DRM has always been a policy problem and not a technical one right? They don't want to, and they're not going to.

Comment

Originally posted by amdtesterman View Post

I dont know nothing about this topic. I would so awesome if Michael can research about it. Because to watch netflix, prime video .. and everything in 480p is really garbage.
                  It's not going to happen. Best you can do is buy/rent Bluray, decrypt using that VLC library and those keys people uploaded and watch that way. Or easier still, download pirated DRM free versions that you can watch with hardware accelerated video decoding, and wherever you want. Those are the only ways you'll see good quality movies/TV shows on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    if you don't want to watch netflix, just don't pay for it, problem solved
                    This is not only about Netflix, in fact Netflix never even crossed my mind when I wrote that.
                    It is about me having access to my computer and my computer system obeying me, and only me, that my computer works for me, not against me.

Comment

I believe most of the video services use Widevine DRM, and that different clients are classified under different security levels. Linux has some low security level of support which the providers then authorize for the lower-resolution streams, but they restrict 4k (or whatever they choose) to higher levels. Which is why some things may only work in Edge on Windows.

So the question of what you'll be able to see comes down to 2 questions:
                      1. What DRM security level does the video content provider require? That's unlikely to change.
                      2. Does adding this EGL protected surfaces capability in AMD linux drivers change the security level Widevine reports? I'm guessing the answer to that is no on general linux, but yes on Chromebooks. Though I'm not an expert and don't have any insider info, so if there is anyone from AMD or Google here feel free to correct me.
                      Last edited by smitty3268; 03 November 2020, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X