Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• landeel
    replied
    I was able build NTFS3 as a dkms module and give it try.
    One major annoyance is that symbolic links created with NTFS-3G or NTFS3 are not compatible with each other.
    Also, symbolic links created with NTFS3 or NTFS-3G didn't work on Windows 10. But symbolic links created in Windows 10 with "mklink /D" do work on Linux both with NTFS-3G and NTFS3. Weird. I think this should be fixed.
    Also, I got my NTFS partiton corrupted twice while mounted with NTFS3, trying to run a heavy game on Steam (Life is Feudal MMO). I could repair it using the disk tool from Windows 10.
    I don't think this is ready for production.

Leave a comment:

• aspen
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    so you could steal it?
    without working as a door for stealing your code? how is it a bad thing?
    If It'S nOt gPl it's ThEFT!

Leave a comment:

• dylanmtaylor
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: "NTFS3" Linux Driver Spun Up An 11th Time With More Optimizations

It's looking like Paragon Software's "NTFS3" read-write Linux driver for Microsoft's NTFS file-system is on a trajectory where we could see it land possibly with the Linux 5.11 kernel kicking off at year's end. Friday marked the eleventh iteration of these patches that Paragon previously offered to commercial customers but is now in the process of being upstreamed...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...1-Linux-Driver
    Version 12 is out: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/2020110...-software.com/

Leave a comment:

• dylanmtaylor
    replied
    Trying to test this out now, looks like you can get the latest patch on a mainline kernel by cloning the repo and running

git remote add linux-review https://github.com/0day-ci/linux
    git fetch --no-tags linux-review Konstantin-Komarov/NTFS-read-write-driver-GPL-implementation-by-Paragon-Software/20201031-220904
    git checkout 0868596d71532d31ce16ee71c5e73c154878416e

Then building the kernel as usual.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by BwackNinja View Post
    NFS and Samba have the same issues for that case -- you're not there modifying your friend's computer to accommodate your needs.
    you didn't get it. nfs and samba are for running inside vm which reads linux filesystem. friend computer just has to be capable of running vms.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by aspen View Post
    No, so BSD OSes can use it.
    so you could steal it?
    Originally posted by aspen View Post
    it also prevents people from using your code in other open source projects without contaminating their code.
    without working as a door for stealing your code? how is it a bad thing?

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by curfew View Post
    It's read-only because the driver is only needed for migrating away from Linux and GPL cancer. Nobody wants to go back to that prison once they get out.
    i see several people in this thread who don't agree with you

Leave a comment:

• kylew77
    replied
    Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

What's wrong with running linux fileserver on this with hdd converted to usb?

Iconikal Rockchip RK3328 4K 60P Single Board Computer A53 64-Bit Processor, 1GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 RAM, USB 3.0
    Brand: Iconikal
    4.4 out of 5 stars 125 ratings
    | 17 answered questions
    Amazon's Choice for "single board computer"
    Price: $15.99 & FREE Returns
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...12YMQNES&psc=1
    That is a good solution! Had not thought of that!

Leave a comment:

• aspen
    replied
    you could steal it?
    No, so BSD OSes can use it.

This is why the GPL is such a double-edged sword - it prevents people from closing your code, but it also prevents people from using your code in other open source projects without contaminating their code.

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied
    ext2 is fully documented, those lazy platforms just have to stop whining and start writing code
    It's read-only because the driver is only needed for migrating away from Linux and GPL cancer. Nobody wants to go back to that prison once they get out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X