"NTFS3" Linux Driver Spun Up An 11th Time With More Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BwackNinja View Post

You've got a lot higher chance of running into someone else's machine running Windows or MacOS where you can't expect to install a 3rd-party filesystem driver to use you're friend's printer to print that report you wrote. NFS and Samba have the same issues for that case -- you're not there modifying your friend's computer to accommodate your needs. Can you email it to yourself or them? Sure, but it's obvious that you're working around a bigger issue if that's the easiest way you've got to move a file somewhere you're walking anyway.
    This is so far from the subject they're discussing you're not even in the same building.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      Please license this under a free non GPL license so the *BSDs will pick it up too hopefully. Right now there is no good file system to ferry files between OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Linux, and Windows. Fat32 is the only one that works and it has limitations. Can't use Ext4 on some of those platforms. Ext2 works but it is not read write on all platforms. Tired of advice on forms saying just use a thumb drive as a tape device with tar because to me that is unacceptable in 2020.
      I was not aware that the BSDs had a technical limitation that impedes GPL-licensed code from running on them. If that's the case, how come the Linux graphics drivers were ported?

Comment

Originally posted by BwackNinja View Post
        You've got a lot higher chance of running into someone else's machine running Windows or MacOS where you can't expect to install a 3rd-party filesystem driver to use you're friend's printer to print that report you wrote.
        Ok, so apparently your report consists of files larger than 4GB. Can't you try splitting the document in any way? For example, if you were printing 1000000000 pages, you could try generating two 3,9GB files so that FAT32 would work.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

I was not aware that the BSDs had a technical limitation that impedes GPL-licensed code from running on them. If that's the case, how come the Linux graphics drivers were ported?
          That would make the morally superior expert level workstation tainted and way too mainstream.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

The Linux graphics drivers are MIT licensed. Example: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/bl...dgpu_display.c

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            Ok, so apparently your report consists of files larger than 4GB. Can't you try splitting the document in any way? For example, if you were printing 1000000000 pages, you could try generating two 3,9GB files so that FAT32 would work.
            If you keep a separate drive for your files larger than 4GB, sure. And Windows will only create FAT32 filesystems up to 32 GB -- so you'll have to reformat it in Linux because your drive will come in either NTFS or exFAT nowadays. It doesn't make sense to have a larger flash drive or portable hard drive with FAT32 and those limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by ypnos View Post

They love Linux where they have a business plan with it.
              This includes running Linux in the cloud, due to customer demand. Customers would move to other cloud providers instead.
              It includes running Linux within Windows, due to customer demand. Web developers would move to other platforms instead.

It does not include Linux cannibalizing Windows market share where it is not threatened already. On a positive note, Matthew Wilcox who works for Microsoft, is helping with the Paragon NTFS driver patches review.
              True their "we love linux" statement is pure hypocrisis. And already some people are thinking M$ has changed....

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

True their "we love linux" statement is pure hypocrisis. And already some people are thinking M$ has changed....
                So server linux doesn't exist? News to me.

Comment

Originally posted by BesiegedAce View Post

So server linux doesn't exist? News to me.
                  I dont' get it.

Comment

Originally posted by ypnos View Post
                    On a positive note, Matthew Wilcox who works for Microsoft, is helping with the Paragon NTFS driver patches review.
                    Matthew Wilcox works at Oracle now.

Comment

As for easily transferring files between machines over a network:

get things from one computer to another, safely. Contribute to magic-wormhole/magic-wormhole development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Working...
                      X