"NTFS3" Linux Driver Spun Up An 11th Time With More Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HadrienG View Post
    Can you expand a bit on your use cases ? I am asking because I used to have a somewhat similar problem (Windows/Linux/macOS file sync), but over recent years, as the data volume that I needed to synchronize between OSes shrunk and network connections sped up, I ended up in a situation where just syncing the files with something like Nextcloud ended up good enough 99% of the time with the benefit of having another backup of the data "for free". For the occasional remaining large sync job, I do use NTFS drives since that's supported well enough on all the OSes mentioned above, but if needed I could probably live with the occasional tar/split/cat/untar inconvenience of FAT32 given how rarely the need arises.
    External hard drives transferring data between computers. I was all surprised pikachu face when I learned FreeBSD doesn't support exfat very well. Now I have a Windows 10, FreeBSD 12.1, and OpenBSD install all on separate ssds on the same computer I would like to share files between.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

I was not aware that the BSDs had a technical limitation that impedes GPL-licensed code from running on them. If that's the case, how come the Linux graphics drivers were ported?
      They prefer the BSD, Apache, or ISC licenses. Fortunately, the graphics code in the Linux kernel is dual licensed so it can get imported. GCC was the one exception in the major *BSD projects until LLVM Clang came along.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

External hard drives transferring data between computers. I was all surprised pikachu face when I learned FreeBSD doesn't support exfat very well. Now I have a Windows 10, FreeBSD 12.1, and OpenBSD install all on separate ssds on the same computer I would like to share files between.
        What's wrong with running linux fileserver on this with hdd converted to usb?

Iconikal Rockchip RK3328 4K 60P Single Board Computer A53 64-Bit Processor, 1GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 RAM, USB 3.0
        Brand: Iconikal
        4.4 out of 5 stars 125 ratings
        | 17 answered questions
        Amazon's Choice for "single board computer"
        Price: $15.99 & FREE Returns

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          ext2 is fully documented, those lazy platforms just have to stop whining and start writing code
          It's read-only because the driver is only needed for migrating away from Linux and GPL cancer. Nobody wants to go back to that prison once they get out.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            you could steal it?
            No, so BSD OSes can use it.

This is why the GPL is such a double-edged sword - it prevents people from closing your code, but it also prevents people from using your code in other open source projects without contaminating their code.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

What's wrong with running linux fileserver on this with hdd converted to usb?

Iconikal Rockchip RK3328 4K 60P Single Board Computer A53 64-Bit Processor, 1GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 RAM, USB 3.0
              Brand: Iconikal
              4.4 out of 5 stars 125 ratings
              | 17 answered questions
              Amazon's Choice for "single board computer"
              Price: $15.99 & FREE Returns

That is a good solution! Had not thought of that!

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                It's read-only because the driver is only needed for migrating away from Linux and GPL cancer. Nobody wants to go back to that prison once they get out.
                i see several people in this thread who don't agree with you

Comment

Originally posted by aspen View Post
                  No, so BSD OSes can use it.
                  so you could steal it?
                  Originally posted by aspen View Post
                  it also prevents people from using your code in other open source projects without contaminating their code.
                  without working as a door for stealing your code? how is it a bad thing?

Comment

Originally posted by BwackNinja View Post
                    NFS and Samba have the same issues for that case -- you're not there modifying your friend's computer to accommodate your needs.
                    you didn't get it. nfs and samba are for running inside vm which reads linux filesystem. friend computer just has to be capable of running vms.

Comment

Trying to test this out now, looks like you can get the latest patch on a mainline kernel by cloning the repo and running

git remote add linux-review https://github.com/0day-ci/linux
                      git fetch --no-tags linux-review Konstantin-Komarov/NTFS-read-write-driver-GPL-implementation-by-Paragon-Software/20201031-220904
                      git checkout 0868596d71532d31ce16ee71c5e73c154878416e

Then building the kernel as usual.

Comment

Working...
                      X