No announcement yet.

Real-Time Patches Updated For Linux 5.9/5.10 With The Code Not Yet Mainlined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real-Time Patches Updated For Linux 5.9/5.10 With The Code Not Yet Mainlined

Phoronix: Real-Time Patches Updated For Linux 5.9/5.10 With The Code Not Yet Mainlined

There was talk earlier this year of mainlining the real-time Linux kernel patches after similar discussions last year didn't result in it happening. Merging the RT code didn't happen for the recent Linux 5.10 merge window but at least the out-of-tree patches were quickly re-based for Linux 5.9 stable and 5.10-rc1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is a shame that Linux didn't have real-time mainline without having to have a patched kernel a decade ago, then maybe Linux could be good for use as audio workstations.
    Now you have to use special-purpose distributions such as Ubuntu Studio that ship with real-time kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      It is a shame that Linux didn't have real-time mainline without having to have a patched kernel a decade ago, then maybe Linux could be good for use as audio workstations.
      Now you have to use special-purpose distributions such as Ubuntu Studio that ship with real-time kernel.
      I use Bitwig Studio on Fedora 32 and now on Fedora 33 and it works fine for me with the standard kernel. Admittedly I have only 10 to 20 tracks in a project but I see zero to only a few xruns even even when using synths like Serum, Sylenth1 or Thorn via Wine & yabridge.

I am interested to learn how to benefit from the RT kernel. Would it be enough to build & install a kernel with those RT patches?

Comment

Real time kernels are great for things that are deterministic: Music, robotics, medical equipment, rockets, auto pilots, etc. Anything that could hurt a human if something gets delayed has to be real time. You can include generalized industrial control equipment, process control, machine tool control. It is fascinating how many things would benefit from mainlining the RT patch set. I'd love to set up a few cores for RT control, and leave the others for general housekeeping!

Comment

Originally posted by lowlands View Post

I use Bitwig Studio on Fedora 32 and now on Fedora 33 and it works fine for me with the standard kernel. Admittedly I have only 10 to 20 tracks in a project but I see zero to only a few xruns even even when using synths like Serum, Sylenth1 or Thorn via Wine & yabridge.

I am interested to learn how to benefit from the RT kernel. Would it be enough to build & install a kernel with those RT patches?
          Even if you don't use Arch, the wiki can often be helpful.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ernel_patchset

Do absolutely try cyclictest (and leave it on for a few hours while using your computer) before and after Linux-rt.
          Last edited by ayumu; 30 October 2020, 03:35 AM. Reason: cyclictest

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post

Even if you don't use Arch, the wiki can often be helpful.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ernel_patchset

Do absolutely try cyclictest (and leave it on for a few hours while using your computer) before and after Linux-rt.
            Thanks! The Arch Wiki is an amazing resource of excellent information. Will give it a read and hopefully a try with cyclictest.

Comment

Working...
            X