X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironmask
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Sorry, but I'd much rather have open, auditable code as far up the stack as possible. If I'm running Windows code, I want it to be only in a sandboxed virtual machine.
    Wasn't saying it's an ideal scenario, just the one I believe is most likely.
    Who knows, MS could go this route and actually open NT. I doubt it, but I don't think it's impossible. Given this scenario kind of makes NT a little worthless, it could end up happening.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

I don't see MS ever dropping NT for Linux. While it would allow for a lot of code reuse, they'd also be losing control of a codebase, which is never fun.
    Rather, I think NT is going to become a lot more "invisible". Take a look at the version of Windows they made for twin screen devices, whatever that thing is called. They totally gutted it, it's not meant to be the old backwards-compatible Windows at all, rather more like macOS. I think they'll do kind of the opposite of what you said, continue to use NT but have Linux running in a hypervisor, which is where things are going already. The dual-screen Windows version already runs the old Windows in a hypervisor for older programs. I think as hardware and software evolve, the underlying kernel is going to matter a lot less, and it'll be more of a case of which OS do you want to run in a hypervisor. Which is pretty exciting, it basically means device drivers and the driver framework are becoming firmware, and all an alternative OS has to do is support the hypervisor instead of an entire repertoire of drivers and devices. I think the future of Windows is not to die, but basically become a hypervisor OS that other OSes like Linux can take advantage of.
    Sorry, but I'd much rather have open, auditable code as far up the stack as possible. If I'm running Windows code, I want it to be only in a sandboxed virtual machine.

Leave a comment:

• Ironmask
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Some people read that and think that MS's agenda is to turn Linux into a Windows program. Double-click Linux.exe and fire up your server or KDE desktop.

I think we'll get some sort of Lin-ception going on as the next MS OS/Desktop. A MS Linux OS that fires up a Windows desktop in a VM/jail that then uses WSL. That way if Windows ever crashes the underlying MS Linux OS can restore the exact state since it monitors the Windows process and everything going on.
    I don't see MS ever dropping NT for Linux. While it would allow for a lot of code reuse, they'd also be losing control of a codebase, which is never fun.
    Rather, I think NT is going to become a lot more "invisible". Take a look at the version of Windows they made for twin screen devices, whatever that thing is called. They totally gutted it, it's not meant to be the old backwards-compatible Windows at all, rather more like macOS. I think they'll do kind of the opposite of what you said, continue to use NT but have Linux running in a hypervisor, which is where things are going already. The dual-screen Windows version already runs the old Windows in a hypervisor for older programs. I think as hardware and software evolve, the underlying kernel is going to matter a lot less, and it'll be more of a case of which OS do you want to run in a hypervisor. Which is pretty exciting, it basically means device drivers and the driver framework are becoming firmware, and all an alternative OS has to do is support the hypervisor instead of an entire repertoire of drivers and devices. I think the future of Windows is not to die, but basically become a hypervisor OS that other OSes like Linux can take advantage of.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

Is that meant to be bad? They're listening to market demands. MS is a big player in IT, them actually listening to people and embracing Linux is a very good thing. I absolutely wouldn't call this "stopping the bleeding of developers", MS owns the most popular desktop OS in the world and they know this, and they have a big presence in the server space as well. They could absolutely be their old 90s self and try to kill the competition, but instead they're embracing it and giving it more support than ever. The most popular OS in Azure is Linux and they have no plans to challenge that. The only way forward is up, which by that I mean, there can only be more code sharing from here. When MS first introduced WSL, I had OS/2 flashbacks, but now I'm starting to think that MS has the prospects of becoming the next Red Had.

And for the record, for the previous posts replying to me, yeah, I didn't mean to imply MS had anything to do with Linux running Windows software, I just meant that, unrelated to this, MS is embracing Linux and listening to market demands and helping us all out, which is very nice and a welcome change. It's far less one-sided than it was back in the early days of WINE and Mono.
    Some people read that and think that MS's agenda is to turn Linux into a Windows program. Double-click Linux.exe and fire up your server or KDE desktop.

I think we'll get some sort of Lin-ception going on as the next MS OS/Desktop. A MS Linux OS that fires up a Windows desktop in a VM/jail that then uses WSL. That way if Windows ever crashes the underlying MS Linux OS can restore the exact state since it monitors the Windows process and everything going on.

Leave a comment:

• Ironmask
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post

This ^^

Don't get too excited. Microsoft's intent is merely to have proper Posix support in Windows to stop the bleeding of developers jumping over to MacOS or Linux.
    Is that meant to be bad? They're listening to market demands. MS is a big player in IT, them actually listening to people and embracing Linux is a very good thing. I absolutely wouldn't call this "stopping the bleeding of developers", MS owns the most popular desktop OS in the world and they know this, and they have a big presence in the server space as well. They could absolutely be their old 90s self and try to kill the competition, but instead they're embracing it and giving it more support than ever. The most popular OS in Azure is Linux and they have no plans to challenge that. The only way forward is up, which by that I mean, there can only be more code sharing from here. When MS first introduced WSL, I had OS/2 flashbacks, but now I'm starting to think that MS has the prospects of becoming the next Red Had.

And for the record, for the previous posts replying to me, yeah, I didn't mean to imply MS had anything to do with Linux running Windows software, I just meant that, unrelated to this, MS is embracing Linux and listening to market demands and helping us all out, which is very nice and a welcome change. It's far less one-sided than it was back in the early days of WINE and Mono.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by spirit View Post
    does somebody known if futex2 is a new implementation of the last year fsync patch ?
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/221...94910196249305
    looks like extended reimplementation

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
    Microsoft contributions to mesa are welcomed. However, their interes is to canibalize the userbase that previously was using linux as development workstation
    This ^^

Don't get too excited. Microsoft's intent is merely to have proper Posix support in Windows to stop the bleeding of developers jumping over to MacOS or Linux.

Leave a comment:

• stiiixy
    replied
    It's weird they went with that name, BF1. I still confuse it with BF'42, simply because most people from that era were calling it that after BF2/3 were coming out.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by spirit View Post
    does somebody known if futex2 is a new implementation of the last year fsync patch ?
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/221...94910196249305
    AFAIK it is new.

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Fourth column, near the bottom
    Thanks, I should look harder next time and as I spotted the other Battlefield titles and it felt odd that BF1 was missing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X