No announcement yet.

Collabora's Work On Extending The Linux Kernel To Better Support Windows Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collabora's Work On Extending The Linux Kernel To Better Support Windows Gaming

Phoronix: Collabora's Work On Extending The Linux Kernel To Better Support Windows Gaming

Windows gaming on Linux got some love this week at the Linux Foundation's Open-Source Summit Europe virtual event. In particular, a recap of the work that's been done so far on extending the Linux kernel to better support Wine / Steam Play based support for Windows games running on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

These recent developments between Windows and Linux supporting each other have made me very happy. It's such a beautiful collaboration, and every time Microsoft chips in whether it's adding components to Linux or adding Linux components to Windows, I get really excited.

It makes me wonder what the future holds. I feel like with the collaboration between Linux and Windows that we're on the cusp of a unified operating system. It reminds me of how IBM tried to make a unified kernel that all OSes would use, which I've seen a lot of people say that's what Linux is now. Which is close, but not accurate, since Windows still powers lots of things. But with all these recent developments, it makes me wonder what the next step is. It's a very exciting time to speculate.

Comment

It is very awesome seeing the work that Valve is doing/funding to bring the gaming ecosystem to Linux. Getting Anti-cheat and DRM working will be huge.

Ironmask

AFAIK, this has nothing to do with microsoft. This is all work funded by Valve with current developers of various projects (Wine, the kernel, graphics drivers, etc).

If you're thinking of microsoft's recent dx12 work for WSL2 for linux running on windows, or their work for emulating opengl on dx12, that has nothing to do with the gaming capabilities that Valve are working on. That is solely for increasing performance of virtualized linux running on windows (which no one in their right mind would use for gaming).

If microsoft is somehow contributing to this effort, I'd be interested in seeing examples.
      Last edited by lectrode; 28 October 2020, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
        If microsoft is somehow contributing to this effort, I'd be interested in seeing examples.
        I don't think Ironmask was specifically referring to Valve's gaming efforts, but more generally to linux support.

Anyway, I think it's very nice that they are helping to get Clover working in Mesa. They aren't going to get a full hardware OpenCL implementation up and working, but they've already helped improve it after the project seemed to be pretty much dead.

Comment

Microsoft contributions to mesa are welcomed. However, their interes is to canibalize the userbase that previously was using linux as development workstation

Comment

I use it all + my patches - in my kernel builds

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fglsq125k8...01039.png?dl=0

https://www.youtube.com/user/ext73

Comment

Originally posted by ext73 View Post
              I don't see Battlefield 1 at your desktop, but I'd be interested to know if it runs better with all these patches applied. If you don't own it, I've seen Battlefield 5 which would also interest me...

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I don't see Battlefield 1 at your desktop, but I'd be interested to know if it runs better with all these patches applied. If you don't own it, I've seen Battlefield 5 which would also interest me...
                Fourth column, near the bottom

ext73 That desktop, I call it Oxygen 95

Comment

Originally posted by ext73 View Post
                  Your youtube link goes to your dropbox link. I checked out both....cool!
                  GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

does somebody known if futex2 is a new implementation of the last year fsync patch ?
                    https://steamcommunity.com/games/221...94910196249305

Comment

Working...
                    X