No announcement yet.

Bcachefs Linux File-System Sent Out For Review With Exciting Feature Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that Fedora actually defaults to btrfs, I don't see much momentum for this one. Which is a shame. There's just too much hatred going against it in the kernel mailing lists. I'm really hoping it gets merged, but I have my doubts. Kent definitely deserves a medal for perseverance though. Kudos, dude!

Comment

Momentum? What is this, an election cycle? Did you stop using Linux after it lost momentum every single year that people said it was "the year of the Linux Desktop"?

Comment

If I would be Redhat/IBM, I'd throw a couple of millions and make sure Kent has a nice to team to work with

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
          I second that. I'd even go further and rename it to systemd_poetteringfs.
          ahahahahah so funny lol lol lol
          keep going with the potty training

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            Now that Fedora actually defaults to btrfs, I don't see much momentum for this one. Which is a shame. There's just too much hatred going against it in the kernel mailing lists. I'm really hoping it gets merged, but I have my doubts. Kent definitely deserves a medal for perseverance though. Kudos, dude!
            The hate against Kent and Bcachefs is mainly self-inflicted. You can't keep pi$$ing people off and expect them to be kind to you afterwards. Even the bcachefs website itself, last time I looked at it (maybe it has changed now) read like some kind of personal vendetta against BTRFS developers, plus a bunch of self-congratulatory claims and some wild unsubstantiated ones too for good measure.

Comment

Maybe BTRFS developers should make sure that something as important as fsck doesn't eat your data.
              Last edited by lyamc; 28 October 2020, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Anyone wanting to contribute financially to Kent's effort on bcachefs can do so on his Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/bcachefs

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                  Well, I admit I don't go scouring the mailing lists to look for snark, but I'd take that with a grain of salt. Everything I have read about it seems fairly positive. There was a bit of blow back last time Kent tried to get it added to the kernel, but to me at least that seemed to be more housekeeping complaints than anything else. As far as Fedora defaulting to BTRFS - that is really not a significant decision point.

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  The hate against Kent and Bcachefs is mainly self-inflicted. You can't keep pi$$ing people off and expect them to be kind to you afterwards. Even the bcachefs website itself, last time I looked at it (maybe it has changed now) read like some kind of personal vendetta against BTRFS developers, plus a bunch of self-congratulatory claims and some wild unsubstantiated ones too for good measure.
                  As far as people hating him... well, it's understandable... people don't like being called out - but the bottom line is sucks to be them. If they can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Don't cry on some mailing list about it - maybe try fixing your code. What will matter is that BcacheFS performs as advertised. If it does, it will be a big success. If not, well, there is always XFS and Stratis.

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
                    Well, I admit I don't go scouring the mailing lists to look for snark, but I'd take that with a grain of salt. Everything I have read about it seems fairly positive. There was a bit of blow back last time Kent tried to get it added to the kernel, but to me at least that seemed to be more housekeeping complaints than anything else. As far as Fedora defaulting to BTRFS - that is really not a significant decision point.
                    Maybe not a decision point, but certainly it is a factor in that it changes the picture and puts an end to the "BTRFS is not ready/unreliable/etc" idea. That means there will probably be less people interested in developing yet another CoW filesystem, contribute to it, fund it etc. There is also the simple fact that people hate reformatting, and in many cases, they simply can't do it easily. They may decide at some point to make the effort to move from EXT4 to BTRFS *if* there is a promise of substantial improvements but hardly from BTRFS to another filesystem if that one only promises the same level of features.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
                      All the features of Btrfs and ZFS +more and no bugs, all that in mainline kernel! Too great to be true?
                      Those features don't exist. It is his TODO note for self, not an actual description of features implemented let alone even technically possible.

Comment

Working...
                      X