No announcement yet.

Bcachefs Linux File-System Sent Out For Review With Exciting Feature Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bcachefs Linux File-System Sent Out For Review With Exciting Feature Progress

Phoronix: Bcachefs Linux File-System Sent Out For Review With Exciting Feature Progress

Bcachefs has been developed for a half-decade now as the Linux file-system born out of the block cache "bcache" kernel code. Kent Overstreet continues spearheading the work and while it's been quiet in recent months today he sent out a new round of Bcachefs patches for review on the Linux kernel mailing list...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All the features of Btrfs and ZFS +more and no bugs, all that in mainline kernel! Too great to be true?

Comment

I'm excited. The most promising native written from scratch FS for Linux and this patchset doesn't even introduce the FS at all: it fixes a DIO issue in the kernel and extends some interfaces to make bcachefs possible.

Comment

Hope it gets merged soon. Having more choices in FS is good and lets people choose what is the best fit for them. Good to see another option in addition to ZFS and btrfs

Comment

I hope we can get some fresh benchmarks in the coming months!

Comment

With the hype btrfs had, a lot of people expected it to be THE filesystem of the future. It's obviously not. Now the hype moved to bcachefs. I don't want to get roped in on the hype, but it does sound pretty great. But the fact that it's not even in the kernel could mean it will need to mature there long after it goes mainline

Comment

Interesting features, but the last time reading the responses from other kernel managers was not a fun experience. It seemed like many were just against the idea, but they didn't offer any constructive criticism.

Comment

I'd really like to hear what other FS devs say about BcacheFS - does the whole approach look sane? It sounds quite great, but then again it's mostly the main developer writing about it AFAIK. It wouldn't be the first small project that can show off nice numbers but doesn't quite cut it when one goes into the details - OTOH many now big projects started as a one-man-show.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
                  Interesting features, but the last time reading the responses from other kernel managers was not a fun experience. It seemed like many were just against the idea, but they didn't offer any constructive criticism.
                  I would rename to systemd_bcachefs so everyone will approve

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

I would rename to systemd_bcachefs so everyone will approve
                    I second that. I'd even go further and rename it to systemd_poetteringfs.

Comment

Working...
                    X