No announcement yet.

Systemd 247-RC1 Released With Systemd-OOMD, Systemd-Homed Now Defaults To Btrfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd 247-RC1 Released With Systemd-OOMD, Systemd-Homed Now Defaults To Btrfs

Phoronix: Systemd 247-RC1 Released With Systemd-OOMD, Systemd-Homed Now Defaults To Btrfs

The first release candidate of systemd 247 is now available for testing and it's a huge feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

JSON! ❤

I don't think I need systemd-oomd, my system have 16 GB RAM and my next system will probably have 32 GB RAM.
    As for systemd-homed, I don't trust Btrfs, I've heard people say it is unreliable and that they lost lost all their data.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      JSON! ❤

I don't think I need systemd-oomd, my system have 16 GB RAM and my next system will probably have 32 GB RAM.
      As for systemd-homed, I don't trust Btrfs, I've heard people say it is unreliable and that they lost lost all their data.
      Yeah, I'm running 48GB of ram myself. I'd much rather have a process that scans /tmp (a 24GB ram disk) and mounts an overlay if it starts getting full. Don't get me wrong, I totally see the usefulness of oomd, just not for me and my current setup. I'm using a workstation, not a Pi.

BTRFS is fine, especially for /home. /var and /boot tend to not like experimental features and have been the causes of most issues for me (either GRUB or some active file on /var not liking compression or something or other). That's coming from one of those people who have all their data (root) with BTRFS...some crap with /var 8 or 9 years ago corrupted my disk...Don't ask, I don't remember details.

Best advice I have is to steer clear of the BTRFS man pages when running mkfs.btrfs . In my experiences, you'll see features and think to yourself "I think I need that" when you're really just shooting yourself in the foot .

Comment

I tried homed a couple of days ago on ArchLinux. GDM had troubles finding the users and my GNOME keyring had troubles unlocking the keyring. I searched around and found a couple of reported issues.

Hello. I've been testing systemd-homed with GNOME for the past week or so. There are multiple password input popups appearing whenever I try to install something from pip...

Comment

JSON! ❤

It saved my files and systems multiple times. Instead of spreading something unreliable you have heard, test btrfs and report your own experience :-)

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

It saved my files and systems multiple times. Instead of spreading something unreliable you have heard, test btrfs and report your own experience :-)
            That's why I included steer clear of the man pages. Every negative BTRFS experience I've had started with me reading the BTRFS man pages, 1/2 the time after a Phoronix article pointed out a new feature

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

I am not original reporter, but on openSUSE, I regret everytime, when I try btrfs again, last time this year with bug in Leap 15.1 . And even that, I am not very demanding user, just my personal computer with btrfs installation defaults.
              Last edited by Leinad; 27 October 2020, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Why do you have a disk, with volume manager on it (LVM) with a FS on it (ext4) with a loopback volume on it, encrypted (Luks) formatted to brtfs. Isn't that enough layers? Is that really the best you could do?

With ZFS you have.. a disk, with ZFS on it.. and it does all the things, volume management, encryption etc. One layer, your disk, your FS, the end.

Edit: If RedHat built cars they would start with a shopping cart and try to figure out how to bolt seats and an engine to it.
                Last edited by k1e0x; 28 October 2020, 01:32 PM.

Comment

JSON! ❤

any FS is unreliable whether that be windows or Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

any FS is unreliable whether that be windows or Linux.
                    No, I have had no problems with NTFS and ext4.

Comment

Working...
                    X