Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.10 Is The Next LTS Kernel

Phoronix: Linux 5.10 Is The Next LTS Kernel

While there had been much speculation that Linux 5.9 would be the kernel's next long-term support release based on past timing, Linux 5.10 is going to be the LTS release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

HA ! Just mentioned under the KVM improvement post how I thought 5.10 was a REALLY big update. Not surprised to see 5.10 go LTS.

Comment

It seems 5.10rc1 runs more stable on openSUSE Tumblewed then 5.9-final

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        HA ! Just mentioned under the KVM improvement post how I thought 5.10 was a REALLY big update. Not surprised to see 5.10 go LTS.
        I'st not about how big it is, it is due to 5.10 being the last kernel of the year.

To quote GKH: "I've been saying for a few years now that I would pick the “last released” kernel of the year to be the next LTS release." [1]

[1] https://people.kernel.org/gregkh/nex...kernel-release

Comment

And the AMD fusion hub thing didn't make it in time for 5.10..

Comment

It's always once a year after 5 or 6 releases per year. Last time it was 6 releases after previous LTS kernel between 4.19 and 5.4 where it was extra 4.20 kernel (while it was no 3.20 in 3.x line).

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
              And the AMD fusion hub thing didn't make it in time for 5.10..
              There is always "just one more thing" that someone would like to have made in the next LTS release and it missed the cut. It is always possible the fusion hub will be backported if it is important enough. And if you care deeply, and are not building your own kernels, you should contact your OS vendors technical account support team and ask them to include it in their derivative releases from the upstream kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

There is always "just one more thing" that someone would like to have made in the next LTS release and it missed the cut. It is always possible the fusion hub will be backported if it is important enough. And if you care deeply, and are not building your own kernels, you should contact your OS vendors technical account support team and ask them to include it in their derivative releases from the upstream kernels.
                There should be a way to DKMS'ize an in-source kernel module, just like when AMDGPU-PRO had its own version of the amdgpu module as a DKMS one back in 2017/2018.
                This would save hours of compiling.

Comment

CommunityMember

I know there's always things that won't make it in time and I don't even own such device.
                  I was just joking around because the fusion hub driver was mentioned so many times.
                  "E.g. Intel got their shit together for such a long time and AMD notebooks are still missing out"
                  Most modern distro's don't even stick to LTS releases, hell my Fedora hosts will always upgrade the kernels as long as you're running the latest release.

@tildearrow
                  I totally agree on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                    CommunityMember

I know there's always things that won't make it in time and I don't even own such device.
                    I was just joking around because the fusion hub driver was mentioned so many times.
                    "E.g. Intel got their shit together for such a long time and AMD notebooks are still missing out"
                    Most modern distro's don't even stick to LTS releases, hell my Fedora hosts will always upgrade the kernels as long as you're running the latest release.

@tildearrow
                    I totally agree on that one.
                    Well i would say they stick to LTS, many of them with are popular like Zorin are on 5.4.xx. I think you miss that there are LTS ones, rolling releases like Manjaro and semi-rolling like Fedora and most users mostly desktop users need rolling ones like me. I'm using Solus as my hardware is new and I use it mostly for entertainment, but my workmachine/server is still on Fedora 32 and it will be like that for long time. My father-in-law older guy or my mom I did Install for them Zorin as it's in their taste, user-friendly GUI for older generation and they are fine with it for more than a year. No need for changes in 2021 for them apart from some security updates going on.

Comment

Working...
                    X