XFS Lands More Code For Linux 5.10 - "Even More Monumental"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
    Fedora has already scrapped xfs for btrfs, so yes, xfs is already a footnote in the file system history...
    That's an outright lie. Fedora Workstation (the desktop variant) moved from Ext4 to btrfs. Fedora Server is on XFS and stays with XFS for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Not a lie, by Fedora everyone implies the Workstation (desktop) edition.

Fedora Server is irrelevant at the moment, its a fun side project and nothing serious. It may not even exist in the future, so hold your horses before coming to rush conclusions.

xfs was dead the moment it was decided not to support shrink support. Its time has been extended because RedHat was playing political games with Oracle. Fedora has moved on and decided to go with btrfs. Good for them and good for us. A file system that does not shrink is garbage these days.

Comment

Can't remember the last time I needed to shrink my offline HDD archive's. Interesting take on rubbishing filesystem use.
        Hi

Comment

All cloud systems, aws, azure, linode, digitalocean, ovh, small or big, they all require file systems to shrink/grow. Corporate systems need that as well, for dockers and other virtual containers. Maybe its not a frequently asked feature for desktop users, but take a look at centos/fedora forums and you'll find many people asking how to shrink their xfs partitions...

Comment

Yes, would be nice. Not a game changer for me, though. Obviously I'm not a host provider, and I assumed one would have gathered as such 😃 Wouldn't have thought XFS a goto FS, regardless of sizing capability, for VM's. Seemed more like a workstation thing to me.
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
              All cloud systems, aws, azure, linode, digitalocean, ovh, small or big, they all require file systems to shrink/grow. Corporate systems need that as well, for dockers and other virtual containers. Maybe its not a frequently asked feature for desktop users, but take a look at centos/fedora forums and you'll find many people asking how to shrink their xfs partitions...
              Just wondering. How many instances do you currently administrator in AWS / Azure / etc?

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
              X