No announcement yet.

Btrfs With Linux 5.10 Brings Some Sizable FSync Performance Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

space_cache=v2 will soon be the default. It is long over due. Only really held back because some really old kernels only can mount v2 as read only.

Comment

Heads up. Been using BTRFS for 4-5 years no issues. With this 5.10 linux-git [AUR] my system froze and now I am having major tree read errors. I am on day 3 of data recovery. Day 1 I dd'd the broken btrfs NVME as a Image.

I switched to linux-git after linux-zen started to have some dmesg errors. This is the 3rd Intel 660p NVME drive I have noted dmesg errors on. I am keeping the rest of my Linux workstations and servers on Linux 5.9 for the foreseeable future.

Anyways, the recovery instructions here: https://ownyourbits.com/2019/03/03/h...rfs-partition/ so far haven't yielded much results.

Anyways, my latest backup is a few months old. It's been 10 years since I've had a major data issue -- my last issue was related to Ubuntu 10.04 MDADM.

I have been running bleeding edge for years so just a heads up to anyone reading DO NOT UPGRADE TO 5.10 without making your backup current and monitoring your dmesg.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
        Heads up. Been using BTRFS for 4-5 years no issues. With this 5.10 linux-git [AUR] my system froze and now I am having major tree read errors. I am on day 3 of data recovery. Day 1 I dd'd the broken btrfs NVME as a Image.

I switched to linux-git after linux-zen started to have some dmesg errors. This is the 3rd Intel 660p NVME drive I have noted dmesg errors on. I am keeping the rest of my Linux workstations and servers on Linux 5.9 for the foreseeable future.

Anyways, the recovery instructions here: https://ownyourbits.com/2019/03/03/h...rfs-partition/ so far haven't yielded much results.

Anyways, my latest backup is a few months old. It's been 10 years since I've had a major data issue -- my last issue was related to Ubuntu 10.04 MDADM.

I have been running bleeding edge for years so just a heads up to anyone reading DO NOT UPGRADE TO 5.10 without making your backup current and monitoring your dmesg.
        Sounds more like you have faulty hardware.

Comment

Working...
        X