No announcement yet.

Paragon Sends Out Latest NTFS Read-Write Linux Driver Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope this fixes some current issues with NTFS. Namely with ntfs-3g, I find transfering file from linux to such a drive seems to work fine and have the new data, but often I don't see it connecting the drive to windows. I have to run the repair drive from windows in order to see those files appear.

Even with perfect integration of a native driver, I wouldn't use NTFS for any reason but compatibility. NTFS is far from perfect. There is no checksum functionality, not even for metadata. That right there makes it a non-starter except for unimportant data. Case-sensitivity is optional, which is a disaster waiting to happen. Compression is available but no choice of compression method. Forget ZSTD, Supported algorithms are: XPRESS4K or LZX (LZX available manually). Nothing close to even LZO. I'd like to see comparisons between XPRESS4K and ZLIB.

Has any audit been done on the NTFS encryption thing?

Comment

I'm sure the ReactOS developers will be interested in this code as well. Kudos to Paragon for releasing it as open source, now that they no longer have a commercial need for it. NTFS compatibility is still important and useful for many people.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
        I hope this fixes some current issues with NTFS. Namely with ntfs-3g, I find transfering file from linux to such a drive seems to work fine and have the new data, but often I don't see it connecting the drive to windows. I have to run the repair drive from windows in order to see those files appear.

Even with perfect integration of a native driver, I wouldn't use NTFS for any reason but compatibility. NTFS is far from perfect. There is no checksum functionality, not even for metadata. That right there makes it a non-starter except for unimportant data. Case-sensitivity is optional, which is a disaster waiting to happen. Compression is available but no choice of compression method. Forget ZSTD, Supported algorithms are: XPRESS4K or LZX (LZX available manually). Nothing close to even LZO. I'd like to see comparisons between XPRESS4K and ZLIB.

Has any audit been done on the NTFS encryption thing?
        NTFS allows to easily implement that via extended attributes.

Case sensitivity is a useless concept which only leads to the user confusion. I've been asking for years to name a single use case for it and no one has ever provided anything even remotely plausible.

No choice of compression? compact.exe allows to specify XPRESS4K, XPRESS8K, XPRESS16K, LZX and classic modes. Microsoft's own website sucks ass - I had to install Windows 10 in a VM to get compact.exe help.

Code:
        compact /?
        Displays or alters the compression of files on NTFS partitions.

COMPACT [/C | /U] [/S[:dir]] [/A] [/I] [/F] [/Q] [/EXE[:algorithm]]
                [/CompactOs[:option] [/WinDir:dir]] [filename [...]]

/C         Compresses the specified files.  Directories will be marked
                     so that files added afterward will be compressed unless /EXE
                     is specified.
          /U         Uncompresses the specified files.  Directories will be marked
                     so that files added afterward will not be compressed.  If
                     /EXE is specified, only files compressed as executables will
                     be uncompressed; if this is omitted, only NTFS compressed
                     files will be uncompressed.
          /S         Performs the specified operation on files in the given
                     directory and all subdirectories.  Default "dir" is the
                     current directory.
          /A         Displays files with the hidden or system attributes.  These
                     files are omitted by default.
          /I         Continues performing the specified operation even after errors
                     have occurred.  By default, COMPACT stops when an error is
                     encountered.
          /F         Forces the compress operation on all specified files, even
                     those which are already compressed.  Already-compressed files
                     are skipped by default.
          /Q         Reports only the most essential information.
          /EXE       Use compression optimized for executable files which are read
                     frequently and not modified.  Supported algorithms are:
                     XPRESS4K  (fastest) (default)
                     XPRESS8K
                     XPRESS16K
                     LZX       (most compact)
          /CompactOs Set or query the system's compression state.  Supported options are:
                     query  - Query the system's Compact state.
                     always - Compress all OS binaries and set the system state to Compact
                              which remains unless administrator changes it.
                     never  - Uncompress all OS binaries and set the system state to non
                              Compact which remains unless administrator changes it.
          /WinDir    Used with /CompactOs:query, when querying the offline OS. Specifies
                     the directory where Windows is installed.
          filename   Specifies a pattern, file, or directory.

Used without parameters, COMPACT displays the compression state of
          the current directory and any files it contains. You may use multiple
          filenames and wildcards.  You must put spaces between multiple
          parameters.
        Last edited by birdie; 11 October 2020, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Case sensitivity is a useless concept which only leads to the user confusion. I've been asking for years to name a single use case for it and no one has ever provided anything even remotely plausible.
          I wholeheartedly agree. Case-sensitivity is one of the few things that UNIX got wrong and Windows got right. Yes, technically lower-case letters and upper-case letters are different characters as far as the computer is concerned, but why should we as human beings have to adapt to the computer instead of vice versa? The computer doesn't care, so let's program it to be smart enough about it.

And like you said, there isn't a single use case for it. I can't even think of any contrived theoretical ones. Case-sensitivity is confusing and it potentially causes errors. Case-preserving file systems are the best way to go, since they are the most intuitive, and still give the users the freedom to capitalize letters in file names as they see fit.

By the way, I remember reading somewhere that NTFS is technically actually case-sensitive, but Windows itself enforces case-insensitivity and case preservation at a higher layer.

Comment

Working...
          X