Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-Boot 2020.10 Released With Many Improvements

Phoronix: U-Boot 2020.10 Released With Many Improvements

U-Boot 2020.10 released on Monday as the latest quarterly feature update to this open-source bootloader popular with embedded devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So what is the difference between this boot loader and a kernel?
    Both have UDP network support, Xen hyvervisor support, SquashFS support and LZO support and USB keyboard support.
    It seems like quite an advanced and big boot loader with support for many different things ranging from hardware, network and compression to file systems.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Both have UDP network support, Xen hyvervisor support, SquashFS support and LZO support and USB keyboard support.
      It seems like quite an advanced and big boot loader with support for many different things ranging from hardware, network and compression to file systems.
      Not much. But think about it, network booting needs UDP support, lots of virtual platforms need the Xen hypervisor support, lots of things use SquashFS and SquashFS compression, and if shit goes wrong you need USB keyboard support. Those are all features I'd expect any modern bootloader to have. I mean, if I was in my rocket ship and the shit hit the fan, I'd like to know that I can edit the kernel command line and disable SELinux because some jackass set incorrect permissions on the reentry program. USB keyboard support.

Comment

At last initial support for Nexell cpus..
        Out of my head I am thinking in NanoPi-Fire3, which is a octacore cortex-A53

But I believe S5P6818, is not yet introduced..
        Support landed for S5P4418, i think..

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          IIRC you can skip the secondary boot loader if you don't need special network booting and stuff.

Comment

U-Boot will really torpedo Grub.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
              U-Boot will really torpedo Grub.
              As long as they address different use-cases, there is room for both. It's not a fight to the death, and even if they cover exactly the same use-cases, having choice is good.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Not much. But think about it, network booting needs UDP support, lots of virtual platforms need the Xen hypervisor support, lots of things use SquashFS and SquashFS compression, and if shit goes wrong you need USB keyboard support. Those are all features I'd expect any modern bootloader to have. I mean, if I was in my rocket ship and the shit hit the fan, I'd like to know that I can edit the kernel command line and disable SELinux because some jackass set incorrect permissions on the reentry program. USB keyboard support.
                I am a SELinux fanboy, but lmao after reading this golden comment!

Random question: Are there any distros using Squash+Overlay for the installed OS (not just the installer). A distro with GUI support that can reliably do a factory reset would be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

I am a SELinux fanboy, but lmao after reading this golden comment!

Random question: Are there any distros using Squash+Overlay for the installed OS (not just the installer). A distro with GUI support that can reliably do a factory reset would be useful.
                  That is a good question. I've always wondered why we don't really see distributions including a recovery mode in their bootloader. Even something as simple as System Rescue or a live installer image with recovery tools included would be a welcome addition. It's not like a modern, 2008+, system can't spare a gig or two for a recovery mode.

Comment

Working...
                  X