Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Git 2.29-rc0 Released With SHA-256 In Experimental State, Restores Protocol v2 Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Git 2.29-rc0 Released With SHA-256 In Experimental State, Restores Protocol v2 Default

Phoronix: Git 2.29-rc0 Released With SHA-256 In Experimental State, Restores Protocol v2 Default

Git 2.29 is on the way with today marking the availability of the initial release candidate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Has Git gotten any easier to use lately?

Is Git like VHS and Mercurial like Betamax?
    Is Mercurial better than Git?

Git is so huge that nobody wants to use anything else, but is it the best?
    Is Git harder than other distributed version control systems?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

All of those answers are opinions so:

I find Git to be the easiest of them all, but that's probably because of how widespread its adoption is and how much documentation is available. I can't think of a problem I've had with Git that a quick search didn't solve. Because of that, I go to Git whenever I need VCS on a project...honestly, I mainly use it for revert when tweaking someone else's code and setting the retard alert off...that's what most people call a compiler error.

It's been years since I've used any other VCS system outside of a few AUR packages with SVN and Mercurial sources. Back in the day ProjectM used SVN so I used it out of necessity and didn't really click with it. It was just something I had to use because I had to use it to get cool visualizations with XMMS and then Audacious. It wasn't until later that custom Android roms forced me to use Git and, unlike SVN, most of it came naturally to me. It just made sense. Mercurial might be better, it might not be. I dunno. Git and I just click so I've never felt the need to use anything else outside of when the AUR forces me otherwise.

I'm interested about what others have to say on this subject and why they use what.

Comment

Everyone is switching to Git: https://jaxenter.com/java-16-migrati...dk-172076.html

Comment

There's no good enough alternative to git.

Comment

AFAIK, Mercurial was never even close to starting a VCS war with Git, so the Betamax story doesn't apply there. VHS vs Betamax is more like Git vs SVN.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

AFAIK, Mercurial was never even close to starting a VCS war with Git, so the Betamax story doesn't apply there. VHS vs Betamax is more like Git vs SVN.
              No because SVN huge and it was not so good. Then came Git later which was better but not big, but still managed to take over, so Git vs SVN is not a good VHS vs Betamax comparison.
              Is there anything better than Git?

Comment

A resounding no.

Comment

No because SVN huge and it was not so good. Then came Git later which was better but not big, but still managed to take over, so Git vs SVN is not a good VHS vs Betamax comparison.
                  Is there anything better than Git?
                  >> Has Git gotten any easier to use lately?

What are you searching for?
                  What is your problem?

>> Git is so huge that nobody wants to use anything else, but is it the best?

From my perspective:
                  You need to learn some basics (what is workspace, index and history) and after that you can find many things pretty easily via https://git-scm.com/doc
                  Most of the time you can guess, what needs to be done by stating the abstract solution in terms of the basics and than searching for the concrete commands.

I think that every software that can be used by learning some few basics and using the standard doc has a good starting point.
                  That is for me good enough as long the rest is not bad.

The only real negative thing is I have in mind:
                  * Some command line options are not intuitive to find. Sometimes a search needs to be done, where I do not find it necessary given a good cli.
                  * Problems/no optimial with big binaries or really many files (can be partially solved)
                  * Bad or no support for auto push, which is bad for non developers or beginners

Comment

Originally posted by splitcells.net View Post

>> Has Git gotten any easier to use lately?

What are you searching for?
                    What is your problem?

>> Git is so huge that nobody wants to use anything else, but is it the best?

From my perspective:
                    You need to learn some basics (what is workspace, index and history) and after that you can find many things pretty easily via https://git-scm.com/doc
                    Most of the time you can guess, what needs to be done by stating the abstract solution in terms of the basics and than searching for the concrete commands.

I think that every software that can be used by learning some few basics and using the standard doc has a good starting point.
                    That is for me good enough as long the rest is not bad.

The only real negative thing is I have in mind:
                    * Some command line options are not intuitive to find. Sometimes a search needs to be done, where I do not find it necessary given a good cli.
                    * Problems/no optimial with big binaries or really many files (can be partially solved)
                    * Bad or no support for auto push, which is bad for non developers or beginners
                    I was thinking if it has gotten any more intuitive, like if I need to list tags/branches/remotes, maybe sometimes it is without parameter, maybe sometimes with -l sometimes with -L sometimes with --list. I am so confuse.

Comment

Working...
                    X