X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by aphysically View Post
    It looks like that GPL shim stuff messes up nvidia uvm. I wonder if they will be quick to fix or if GPGPU nvidia users will be forced back down to 5.4 when 5.8 goes EOL.
    As I recall, nvidia_uvm used to be MIT licensed, but was changed to a dual license (MIT/GPL) recently (5.8 time frame?) to gain access to the radix_tree_preloads symbol that had been changed to be GPL. Implementation of an alternative radix tree library should not be especially difficult (I would expect many programming courses likely cover the concept, if not assigning homework to build an implementation). I would expect the nvidia linux developers have been working on something since the GPL shim patch was merged (since the issue was known then), so we shall see how long it will take for nvidia to complete and release that work product in their next driver release (if a radix tree is even the best choice if one has to do an implementation from scratch anyway).

Leave a comment:

• aphysically
    replied
    It looks like that GPL shim stuff messes up nvidia uvm. I wonder if they will be quick to fix or if GPGPU nvidia users will be forced back down to 5.4 when 5.8 goes EOL.

Leave a comment:

• Willie3204
    replied
    Does the fact that 5.10 may come out this year mean 5.9 will not be LTS? That would seem to break the 49 49 49 pattern...

Leave a comment:

• Linux 5.9-rc8 Released To Provide An Extra Week Of Testing

Phoronix: Linux 5.9-rc8 Released To Provide An Extra Week Of Testing

While normally the Linux kernel sees its stable releases after about seven weeks worth of release candidates, today Linux 5.9-rc8 was issued in allowing an extra week of testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X