No announcement yet.

OpenCL 3.0 Specification Released With New Khronos Open-Source OpenCL SDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there an OpenCL equivalent to mesamatrix?

Comment

This is the closest that I know about:

Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        Also it doesn't help that AMD still makes ROCm a shit show to install and setup.
        I have taken the bat to AMD a few times myself, but AMD has open sourced the pieces that the distros need to make this far easier to install and actually get it working. I see the issue more at the distro level now. For example there should be a meta package that you can install that will pull in all the pieces to get the stack working. That is no where to be found at least for the RH derivatives.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
          I have taken the bat to AMD a few times myself, but AMD has open sourced the pieces that the distros need to make this far easier to install and actually get it working. I see the issue more at the distro level now. For example there should be a meta package that you can install that will pull in all the pieces to get the stack working. That is no where to be found at least for the RH derivatives.

Well...I say these things as a self professed AMD fan bois since 1989 when I purchased my first laptop from a now long defunct computer company called Tanden. Light as a feather at 12lb, with a built in EGA class LCD and running a BLISTERING 16 Mhz AMD 286 processor which I turbo charged with a Cyrix plug in Math Co-Processor. I made the 8088's at the Meteorology lab I was working in during my post graduate years look like a Casio hand held calculator.

However, if AMD wants to ever get away from begging for scraps from the Intel Master's table, they need to make their tech as easy to install and manage as any Windows or MacOS program. I know....the shit show which is Linux packaging will never become THAT easy. But my God !!.....after 25 farking years you would think that someone with the resources like AMD could at least sit down with the propeller heads at IBM/Red Hat, Suse and Ubuntu and come up with a proper Meta RPM and Meta Deb and then make a version for Flathub and Snap ( screw AppImage...they're dead tech and who in the 21st century wants to command an app to execute. Appimage is the WORST kind of stupid geekery only found with Linux ).

Simple. At least it should be with a billion dollar corp. like AMD working with a multi-billion dollar behemoth like IBM/Red Hat and multimillion dollar outfits like Suse and Ubuntu. It's really shameful that after 25+ years and Linux is still a shit show when it comes to packaging, distribution and maintenance of programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
            I know....the shit show which is Linux packaging will never become THAT easy.
            Well you could have said the same thing back when we were compiling all the pieces that went into X and what ever if any thing passed as a desktop.

It isn't AMDs job to go around to every one that wants to call themselves a distro and do the packaging for them. If there is still an issue with AMD it's self it may lay in the way their code base is structured. About a year ago I remember some one doing packaging complaining that the AMD repo wasn't using any of the GNU make features that would make it a snap (relatively speaking) to reconfigure the code to work with the various distros and where they like to put things. The issue was the distros want to do continuous integration with out having to spend a month rewriting the code every time they do a pull.

That person offered to show some one from AMD how configure/Make could make that easier for every one. Whether that ever went any where I am not sure. I think AMD had religious issues with it. But keep in mind that AMD could turn around and point the finger at the distros about not getting their act together about where various components should live.

Having said that the technology is becoming to damn important to sit unusable and that will cost both AMD and the distros that don't have it working.

Comment

in the time of Vulkan Compute we can say for sure: OpenCL is already death.
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
              X