Linux 5.9 Stable Expected In Two Weeks, But For Now Is Linux 5.9-rc7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
    I guess Linus must have watched Prince of Egypt or some other Moses movie again, and hence all of the burning bush references.
    He lives on the American west coast. It's on fire. Here's a current fire map. He's also in Oregon which is dealing with a lot of police brutality protests. When one is surrounded by what looks like the apocalypse, people and nature, biblical references are sure to follow

Comment

Originally posted by set135

The problem is the code has no maintainer, has bitrotted, and the kicker was a security bug. (Which is why the code was summarily removed from the stable series as well.) Linus has said that to re-instate it, a maintainer must come forward, and not only fix the known bugs, but clean up various other problems with the code. Pavel Machek has expressed an interest, but I don't know if he will follow through.
      I know. I didn't know that someone has expressed interest in maintaining it so that's nice. *Virtual hug* for even considering it.

I should point out that I'm fully aware that removing it will have next to no effect for 99% of Linux desktop users. They just install a distribution and run programs. Outside of maybe having an issue with AMDGPU-Pro or the Nvidia driver sometime before systemd, they won't ever use kernel scrolling. Most people don't do kernel tweaks for reasons like we all do or go "Ohh. An RC kernel. And it supports BTRFS ZSTD. Total Sweetness. What could possibly go wrong?"

Comment

Working...
      X