Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.9-rc6 Released With Soft Scrollback Removed, Performance Regression Fixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.9-rc6 Released With Soft Scrollback Removed, Performance Regression Fixed

Phoronix: Linux 5.9-rc6 Released With Soft Scrollback Removed, Performance Regression Fixed

The sixth weekly release candidate to Linux 5.9 is now available with at least two notable changes in particular...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If you want scrollback in a framebuffer console, use tmux like a normal person, you probably want to anyway.

Comment

"That code is now in Linux 5.9-rc6 and the performance is back on track with Linux 5.8 while I will have out more benchmark numbers soon on the revised Linux 5.8 vs. 5.9 performance state"

There still may be regressions in 5.9 if its at 5.8 levels of performance, given that the FSGS patch was making things quite faster from what I remember... but let's wait for the benchmarks....

Comment

Now Linux has matched MS-DOS levels of scroll back!

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          If you want scrollback in a framebuffer console, use tmux like a normal person, you probably want to anyway.
          Why the hell would I want to use something this overcomplicated if I could just press shift+Page Up/Down... I will rather use the good old GNU Screen.

Comment

Scrolling on Linux console and many terminal emulators: Shift-PageUp/PageDown = 2 keystrokes:
            - hold Shift
            - press PageUp/PageDown

Quit with any key.

Scrolling on tmux: Ctrl-B, PageUp/PageDown = 3 keystrokes:
            - hold Ctrl
            - press B (and release Ctrl)
            - press PageUp/PageDown

Quit with Ctrl-C.

And what if I don't want the green bar at the bottom?

Furthermore how can I tell the kernel to redirect all its output to tmux and launch tmux at boot?
            Otherwise how else am I supposed to scroll through kernel/systemd messages in case something goes wrong? .-.
            Last edited by tildearrow; 21 September 2020, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Yea, I never could get used to tmux either.

Comment

I am on debian Sid/unstable. It seems debian removed soft scroll even from their 5.8.0.2 kernel (5.8.10). 5.8.0.1 works fine though.

Comment

Yeah, good luck scrolling the kernel output when your system cannot even reach the init.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Yeah, good luck scrolling the kernel output when your system cannot even reach the init.
                    You wouldn't have that problem if you ran Linux on a VM or via WSL like all the cool kids. Luckily Windows is rock solid so I can scroll my command prompt when the kernel crashes.

That's a joke.

Comment

Working...
                    X